• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 to AW4

You will also need the flex plate!

flexplate, torque convertor, tranny, tranny mount, shifter and cable, center console piece, cable that connects to throttle body, lots of wires, a few sensors, computer... i think that's everything... I know swapping from a Peugeot to AW4 you have to move the crossmember, I don't think that's the case from AX15 to AW4.

I did this swap once, a long time ago. With the money I made selling the stick XJ I was able to lift, gear, and lock the auto equiped XJ.

:D :D

I posted up in another thread, but I am planning this swap soon.
I have the transmission, torque converter, flex plate, and TCU.....I am running a 95, and the donor is a junk yard '91.
Spline problems?
Thanks for the info!

I asked in another thread as well: swap in an older 929 w/Dana 300 out of an 80's cj? or am I just looking for trouble?
No electronics to try to convert......

I went the other way-AW4 to AX15 on an 89 w/NP231. My Aw4 had a 21 spline output so I had to change to a 23 spline input on the NP231 for the ax15. You may need to go the other way to a 21 spline input on the transfer case. The shift cables and wiring for computer will be a chore. You might consider buying another XJ with an AW4 in it and going from there.

I was thinking about just getting another one, but this one is pretty much finished aside from an internal cage and this new tranny swap.
From some of my fellow jeepers I have heard that the 929 won't fit and wont run correctly, and that my engine will not work right.....Since it is originally an manual, and I am putting a non-computered auto in it, I figured it would be easier....just a vaccum line, linkage, shifter, clocking kit for the D300 (and linkage adjustments) and tranny mounts....(plus all the other stuff...)
I like the idea of a 3spd for the trails....this will only be my weekend toy after this swap.
Again, thanks everyone all of the info....I will get some pics of my new armor and aaction shots from PAP up soon!

Alright, finished my end of the project; 999 is on its way for a quick rebuild, sensor relocator from AA is being ordered and the 231 is staying so I do not have to flip the D300.
I know it's a 3spd, but for trail only use that is fine with me.
I will include some pics when I am done.
Thanks everyone for the info sharing.

Back