• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front end inspection

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I've done my first two periods of training as a heavy truck mechanic, but sometimes different procedures are used for trucks than for cars/passenger vehicles.

I'll be making a long road trip next week with my wife and son and want to do a complete, thorough inspection of the front end before I go. On a heavy truck, we were taught to use a dial indicator and the weight of the truck to check the kingpins (jack the truck, zero the dial indicator, set the truck back down, take a reading). What is the RIGHT way to do this on an xj, and what tolerances are allowed? Is everything a zero tolerance, if there is play replace it, sort of thing?

Are there any techs out there? What is the right way to check ball joints, wheel bearings (just push and pull the wheel straight in and outand feel for play?) tie rod ends, track bar....???????

It's very important to me that my vehicle (and any that I work on) be safe. I don't have an FSM, so if any one can offer any help on this one, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Geoff C.

Back