• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine belt removal

wrong1

NAXJA Forum User
I have been unsuccessfully trying to remove the serpentine belt on my 88 4.0L with AC.

I know I'm supposed to pivot the powersteering pump using the jack screw. after loosening all the bolts on the pump and completely removing the jack screw the pump still will not move.

Is there a trick I'm not seeing, or did the idiot PO put on too short of belt like one of a non AC model?? It almost appears that the pump is at the end of the adjustment slot on the slack side.

There are two screws (13mm) on the back of the power steering pump bracket that you need to loosen. I usually take off my air box to get to them easier.

Ludakris said:
the bolt on the rear that adjusts, may need to be removed to get enough adjustment. I know mine has to be removed so the pump will swing enough.

i'll second that, last time i had to remove it because there was just no way it was moving far enough to put the belt on without damaging it.

Back