• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cobra 75WX mounting suggestions

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Rather unexpectedly, I picked up a Cobra 75WX CB today. It was half-off and thus too good of a deal to pass up, so it came home with me.

Did some searching on this, but didn't find anything specific: if anyone who has one of these units could let me know where they mounted the transmitter I'd appreciate it. Right now I'm thinking of somewhere under the steering column knee pad, probably attached to the frame of the dashboard - but have concerns about RF and the airbags.

I am not sure if the newer interiors have this area or not but it has worked well on my 96. I have not had any problems with my Cobra. It seems to have good recieving power and is nice and clear. I would stick with their wiring recommendations and see what happens.
150.jpg

Thanks for the comments, folks. I've heard mixed reviews on it as well, so have held on to the receipt (God bless Fry's Electronics' 30-day loan with 100% deposit up front policy).

I was thinking of hanging the handset on the vertical upper part of the steering column kick pad - that way, I could read the display through the steering wheel while it was on the hook. The problem with doing it off on the right like Canopener suggested is more down to keeping it out of the passenger airbag's field of deployment - I like the idea otherwise and it would actually be my first choice for a location, though.

The main thing now is where to locate the transmitter. I'm thinking that under the passenger-side dash or behind/beneath the heater controls may work. Knowing now what I do about taking the dash apart, I'll do some investigation this weekend and see how it goes.

Welp, having just spent the last two hours tearing apart the dash and test-fitting the transmitter as suggested in the ilovejeeps thread, it looks like it's a no-go. I can't quite get the box to clear the wiring at the back of the HVAC controls, and once I run in the fog light switch there'll be even less room back there.

The good news, though, is that I think I found a suitable mounting location inside the center console that leaves the connector for the microphone still within the driver's reach. I'll attack it again tomorrow and post more details then, but I think this may work out for anyone else in the same boat.

I actually have mine zip-tied to the carpet under the passenger seat. I store the mike under there unless I'm on the trail. It seems like one less temptation for the lot lizards to break in...

Good luck with the Cobra 75WX..... Several friends of mine have tried that CB radio with poor results....With all the controls in the microphone you will need to be VERY careful while on the trail. The microphone controls do not like being banged around or exposed to a lot of dust.

Charles

OK, the unit's in. Pictures are here. Not a lot to explain, really, though it probably is worth mentioning that the reason why I spliced onto the power outlet that I did is that that one has power even when the ignition is off; the one on the driver's side doesn't. Just something to bear in mind for anyone going the same route as I have here.

Oh, and for now I'm just using a Rat Shack magmount antenna that I'm stashing under the Driver's seat until needed. I'll come up with something more permanent later, but for the amount of use this thing is likely to get it's a real low-priority item.

CharlesS said:
Good luck with the Cobra 75WX..... Several friends of mine have tried that CB radio with poor results....

Yep, this was actually something I was concerned about when I bought it. However, having run it on my bench supply with an untuned antenna, I was getting 5-10 mile ranges judging from the locations other people were telling me they were at.

Personally I would rather have had an 11-meter-capable multiband ham rig than the Cobra, but AFAIK no such thing currently exists - yes, there are hackable 10-meter rigs, but I'd really like something like the Yaesu FT-8900R only also capable of 11-meter.

With all the controls in the microphone you will need to be VERY careful while on the trail. The microphone controls do not like being banged around or exposed to a lot of dust.

I guess we'll see how it holds up over time. At least it was cheap and has a year's warranty, so even if it does bite the big one I've got some time to get it replaced free.

Brief update: after a week, this is working out very well. Range is good, the handset is operable from the driver's seat (though the display can't be read at the angle my head's at to it - should've mounted it higher), and one other fringe benefit has come out - it can be operated from any seat in the Jeep. Needs some noise suppression, but is otherwise fine.

where'd you get this cb for half off? i got one for about $90 or so a year & a half ago. it got stolen though, on mothers day, in my folks driveway. stole my eyeglasses too? i didn't understand that one.

There is a vehicle specific mount for the XJ that will put a mount to the right of the radio. It screws in behind the center bezel on 97+ XJ. I have one for my cell phone and have had it for a few years now, works great for other stuff too.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/mount.htm

mattfarkas said:
where'd you get this cb for half off?

I just happened to walk into Fry's Electronics on the day they were on sale - it looked like the store was trying to clear them out to bring in some other product.

Back