• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another no start...help!!

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ 4.0L...It's not the NSS or CPS, the battery, the battery cables or any fuses or relays. All the above are new...The problem was with the Viper alarm system that was in my truck that rendered it unstartable one day.

I unplugged the starter kill that was tapped into the ignition wire and it started ONCE. Turned it off an I can't get it to start again. I uninstalled the alarm and it still won't start. I hear the fuel pump and the initial 'click' of the starter, but nothing. Any ideas? Everything else works on the truck- radio, air, etc.

Are you saying that it won't turn over? Or that it turns over but there's no spark?

How many miles, and has the starter ever been replaced?

No codes thrown, starter is good...just pulled it and had it tested. Everything elecrtical on the Jeep works, just won't crank. I hear the very intial click for the starter and the fuel pump humm, but nothing. Here's some advice I got recently. Is there any other way to get the truck to start?

"If you locate the alarm CPU, it wont matter if you unplug it. It will not start, as it requires the alarm to send a ground to close the contacts.

Worst case, you pull the whole unit out and rewire the ignition with new wires, to enable you to start the vehicle."

Gjeep said:
No codes thrown, starter is good...just pulled it and had it tested. Everything elecrtical on the Jeep works, just won't crank. I hear the very intial click for the starter and the fuel pump humm, but nothing. Here's some advice I got recently. Is there any other way to get the truck to start?

"If you locate the alarm CPU, it wont matter if you unplug it. It will not start, as it requires the alarm to send a ground to close the contacts.

Worst case, you pull the whole unit out and rewire the ignition with new wires, to enable you to start the vehicle."
How old is the starter? I had one that would work just fine on the bench, but was too worn out to start the vehicle. If it cranks on the bench, compare it to a new one to see the difference. If the starter solenoid is engaging, either you don't have the juice to crank the engine or the starter is bad.

You have a starter relay, which when activated by the ignition switch then sends current to the starter solenoid (which is like another super heavy duty relay). You need to find the starter relay and check to see if it is getting current for the crank cycle. It should have two hot terminals when you try to crank -- the one that actually provides the power that will go to the solenoid, and the control or trigger terminal that closes the contacts in the relay. Note that in the crank position the ground terminal of the relay will also be energized, so that actually makes three terminals where you should be seeing 12 volts.

Back