• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front air-dam removal

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
The air-dam on the front of my 91 has seen better days and I am pretty much to the point that I just want it gone. I've heard things for and against it saying that it will raise engine temps, but my engine seems to run pretty cool despite the ARB bumper, liscense plate, and Lightforce 170's blocking the flow.

My question isn't about the problems that might result, but rather what to do with the fender-flares. I've seen some pictures on here in the past where people have removed the dam and it looked like they simply cut the bottom part of their fender-flare off to make it look clean. I was wondering if it was just that simple, or whether I would have to find a way to affix the lower part of the flare after cutting the bottom off (where a current mount is). Also, should I just use a hack-saw and go slow to avoid chipping the paint off the fender-flare or just go to town with a Saw-zall.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yes it is that simple. The fair is mounted to the fender so no need for any remounting. I use a utility knife to make the main cuts and then use a disc sander to sand to the final line I want, this way the paint doesn't peal.

mark
orgs mfg

New air dams are only about $20 from the dealer. I bought a new one for mine a couple years ago. Make sure you really want it gone before cutting the flares......

Just my two cents.:)

I've just removed my dam, but have not yet cut the flairs.

What's this business about running hotter? Is the ugly dam used to direct air into the rad? Negative pressure underneath? Why does the engine run hotter if the air dam is removed?

I no understand . . .could somebody splain.

I believe that the air dam does aid in directing air to the radiator as you suggested. But mine ran really hot before and after removal and it was bone stock at that point ..... not lifted.

I lost mine on a stump in P.A.

I just cut my bumper end caps a while ago and it looks cool. Just make a tape line from the bottom of your bumper and wrap it around, keeping the same distance of the ground, then cut. I used a jig saw then sanded the edges. I lucked out that all my fender well attatchement points ended up being above this line.

It looks fine,

email me and I'll send you a pic ([email protected])

2000xj

I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel. Easy and clean. Just used sand paper to lightly clean off any burrs left.

It not a good pic but its all I have. I took off the air dam for the hitch. I cut off the part that wraps around the front and then tried to continue a decent looking curve. Most people don't know the difference.
STMGVDFPNIGXIYUQPEEJ-fender.jpg

Mine looks just like the pic above and there was no difference in temp. I used a utility knife with a new blade. It took all of 10 minutes and no one noticed mine either. Not even my wife and I showed her what I did.
HTH Doug

Why Stop There

Why stop at the airdam. Get out you tin snips and trim your fender even with the bottom of the light trim!;)

That's where snowball started rolling for me. First I took off the airdam. Then I cut off the fenders below the lights. Then I removed the bumper and made a new one...............

Cutting sheetmetal is addictive!

Back