• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Volvo Portal axles on an XJ?

JungleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

Has anyone done a Volvo Portal Axles mod on an XJ? I chanced upon a few axles and would love the idea of portals on my XJ. Not sure of the amount of work needed tho.

thanks

if you were to go to portals i would definitely use some sort of link suspension in the back

From what I've read on anyone swapping portal axles is the biggest problem is the amount of lift required to clear the oil pan. This isn't just for XJ's, but TJ's, YJ's, and some full sizes as well. Do alot of research!

Do a search of Mod Tech. This was covered to some degree here not too long ago.

i do believe Volvo C303 axles area p***enger side drop axle, so you could swap a D300 while you're at it. As mentioned, oil-pan clearance would be one of the toughest issues to deal with (or just use a stupid huge lift). using just a few inches of up-travel it just might work at a reasonable lift height. I also agree that you should link the rear, or at least run it SUA with leafs.

rg: Volvo Portal`exles on an XJ?

Txenks for all the info guys. What about flipping the axle over? Will the lncker wnrk?l

So based on `el the xofo givtj, H woted have these 3 main points to address:

- oil pan clearance
- rtir link uspension nr StC
, tmff on dwiver side

c8`ers

How would a portal cause issues with the oil pan the pumpkin is still in the same line as the axle tubes, if anything it should only reduce the need for lift
the only issue I can see is a posible problem with axle wrap in the rear due to the leverage it would cause

Fullsizexj said:
How would a portal cause issues with the oil pan the pumpkin is still in the same line as the axle tubes, if anything it should only reduce the need for lift
the only issue I can see is a posible problem with axle wrap in the rear due to the leverage it would cause
let's say you run 8 inches of total lift and the portal gives 5 inches of that. that means your axle tubes are only 3 inches lower at the centers than stock. the housing is also much bigger than a D30. I'm pretty sure it could be done with 8-10 inches of lift and limiting up-travel to 3 or 4 inches. the pinion and driveshaft would be fairly high though, and I don't know how clearance would be around the starter since it's a p***enger drop axle.

Hmmm... my bad .. on flipping the axle..

D300.. now that will be a problem getting one fo those in this part of the world. What 4wds did they come from? What would they run?

The easiest solution is to keep my XJ and run the Volvo C304...forgot to mention that the axles are still on the truck ;-)

Fullsizexj said:
I agree. They are not that much bigger to a D30 as they are kept relatively small due to the fact the stress is greatly reduced in the diff centre and axles. This is because the portal gears in the hub do the multiplication of the torque so everything like the axle and diff centre can be kept smaller and still handle the power. I looked at these axles while they were being fitted to a Landrover Defender 110.

this sounds like a badass idea for any truck. The ground clearance is ungodly, butt the main problem I see is the gearing. Most portal axles are super low ratio, meaning to run on the street you would have to have big tires, (42-44)s. I may be wrong on ratio for the volvos, butt this would be something to think about?

Here are some shots fitted to a little 90 Landy. You can see even against this small 4by they are not huge at all.

portal-axle-1.jpg

portal-axle-3.jpg

portal-axle-4.jpg

portal-axle-2.jpg

Nice Landy man!! Gojeep....really nice

Quite a few folks run portals on their Rangies, Landies and BJ 40s out here for competitions like Rainforest Challenge and stuff but no one has done it on an XJ!

I've wheeled with guys who bobtailed(chopped) the C304 and man that thing has done some ungodly stuff!

I would post some pics but can't get the pic posting working.

Cheers

BrettM said:
some Volvos have 7.xx gearing, but some have 5.xx gearing. I would LOVE to get a pair with the 5.xx gearing for my DD MJ
Ahhhh a man that has realized the error of his ways :spin1:

BrettM said:
considering my whole truck, geared, locked with 35s cost less than a pair of Volvos, my only error has been not hitting the lotto jackpot.

my dream truck would be an MJ shortened to 108", Volvo portals or MOG/9s, and 35s.
MOG axles can be had for $1800 a pair

Back