• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something loose...

cdnxj

NAXJA Forum User
First off the patient is a '91 XJ, 5 speed 4wd. Ok, there's this noise, kind of a jingling and then every now and then it gets really loud like the bearing in a cpu fan that's burned up. I have been every where underneath and I found it. I don't know what it's called. The only manual I have is a Chilton and I can find no mention of it. It's a saucer shaped disc that's between the transfer case and the front drive shaft yoke. I'm guessing it's some kind of a dust cover, or guard. Now the question is if I leave it what's it gonna do? Can I take it off, replace it or what? She's pulls fine on the highway... Off roads just fine 4wd works in Hi and Lo, Just this "thingy" is loose. What do you guys figure. I'd try a search but I don't know what to call it.

Thanx

Marty

'91 XJ 4x4, 2 dr, 5-spd. Bone stock and lovin' it!

If it's what I think it is, it's just a "dust/mud slinger". If its just sitting on there loose and spinning when the driveshaft isn't. Remove and discard. You can probably do the surgery with some side cutters and a twisting motion.

I don't even have one on my XJ, but had one on an old Mercury once. I had to amputate it. No difference.

Professor Bobo said:
If it's what I think it is, it's just a "dust/mud slinger". If its just sitting on there loose and spinning when the driveshaft isn't. Remove and discard. You can probably do the surgery with some side cutters and a twisting motion.

I don't even have one on my XJ, but had one on an old Mercury once. I had to amputate it. No difference.

Thanx! I was going to try and slip it back on, but if it's not needed, then it's probably easier to just take it off. Thanx again.

Marty

cdnxj said:
First off the patient is a '91 XJ, 5 speed 4wd. Ok, there's this noise, kind of a jingling and then every now and then it gets really loud like the bearing in a cpu fan that's burned up. I have been every where underneath and I found it. I don't know what it's called. The only manual I have is a Chilton and I can find no mention of it. It's a saucer shaped disc that's between the transfer case and the front drive shaft yoke. I'm guessing it's some kind of a dust cover, or guard. Now the question is if I leave it what's it gonna do? Can I take it off, replace it or what? She's pulls fine on the highway... Off roads just fine 4wd works in Hi and Lo, Just this "thingy" is loose. What do you guys figure. I'd try a search but I don't know what to call it.

Thanx

Marty

'91 XJ 4x4, 2 dr, 5-spd. Bone stock and lovin' it!

Just wondering what kind of nose were you gerring? was it like a clinging noise everytime you hit a bump?

afjeep2082 said:
Just wondering what kind of nose were you gerring? was it like a clinging noise everytime you hit a bump?
Not all the time. Sometimes I'd be cruising on the highway and it would start. Or in a parking lot in second gear. I got a buddy of mine to tack it back on with a welder. No more noise. BTW I just checked out your web page... Nice truck!

Marty

Back