• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case problem!!!

lndrvrxj

NAXJA Forum User
I was wheeling yesterday, when i tried to put my jeep in 4lo i heard this grinding kinda sound. the cherokee ran fine in 4hi. i have not been able to look at it yet but was wondering if anyone had a idea of what it could be.....like the linkage or what not....
:bawl:

Thanks

THe 1st thing to check is the linage adjustment. It helps to have a friend for that. One in and one under. If it doesn't go in completely you will hear a louder meshing noise as it is turning over. If it just barely engages or rubs you will hear something like grinding.

I have the same problem, try putting the transmission in neutral and turning the engine off. That is what I have to do the go in and out of 4 lo, 4hi works smoothly with the engine running and whatever gear it's in.

t case
That is the same thing that is happening to me.....I will check the linkage tommorrow but for tonight it is pool league night so....drink on

I know Grinding noises are never good however, I owned several XJ's (84 XJ, 86 XJ, 95 XJ, 97 XJ and a 01 WJ) and with exception of the 97 XJ Sport and 01 WJ Laredo, everyone gave me the Grinding noise trying to put it in low EVEN A Rental 02 KJ.

So I kinda think its normal. I even posted the same question about 4 years ago on the old "XJ.Jeep.org Forum" now deceased and a few people told me its normal.

a grinding noise when shifting is not normal.. more than likely a simple linkage adjustment... you are not shifting into 4LO while you are moving are you? you can if its like 1 mph but at that speed you might as well stop and hit neutral anyways.. i had this problem on a 89 XJ a few years back and it was just an adjustment.. you arent talking about a "gear whine" sound when in 4LO right? just checking....

Back