• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 xj stock

dan

NAXJA Member # 1521
Noise in frontend gets faster with speed much worse when wheels turn left or right. greased everything that I could stopped for a day then stared again.This is a chirpping noise like a bearing. Anyone got ideas sons ride we`ll be doing the work at home.

dan said:
Noise in frontend gets faster with speed much worse when wheels turn left or right. greased everything that I could stopped for a day then stared again.This is a chirpping noise like a bearing. Anyone got ideas sons ride we`ll be doing the work at home.

You have the NP242(full-time) transfer case? Sounds like U-joint squeak.
Going away for only a day after grease, though is a little troubling. Usually, a wheel bearing makes a scraping noise when it gives up the ghost.

w_howey said:
You have the NP242(full-time) transfer case? Sounds like U-joint squeak.
Going away for only a day after grease, though is a little troubling. Usually, a wheel bearing makes a scraping noise when it gives up the ghost.

i have taken wheel and brake off. no woble in hub assembly no noise there. U-joimt has play and clicking noise im trying to pull the axle .do i need to pull hub off first or will thy come off together?

dan said:
i have taken wheel and brake off. no woble in hub assembly no noise there. U-joimt has play and clicking noise im trying to pull the axle .do i need to pull hub off first or will thy come off together?

The hub comes off first, then you just slide the shaft out.

If the u-joint has play, it's junk. Not too bad a job. Just removing the hubs can be a real PITA! Remove tire, caliper, brake rotor. Three bolts on the back of steering knuckle hold hub on. Remove bolts and proceed to get mid-evil on the back of the hub. If and when it comes out, then carefully slide the shaft out of the tube. Replace joint then CAREFULLY slide the shaft back in. (I wasn't careful and damaged the seal!) Now that's a fun project!
Repeat on other side.

Thanks got the axel out took c-clips out of joints could not get the joints to come out will take it someplace with a press all should go back together mon. Thanks Dan

I bought one of the 30 dollar Harbor Frieght press kits, that you clamp into a bench vise. Works like a charm. You just have to be careful not to crack the ears of the shafts.

Back