• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got me a Dana 44. Now what?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled a Dana 44 out of an MJ today to swap into my XJ to replace a Chrysler 8.25. The axle is complete drum to drum, including the parking brake cables. I know I have to reposition the spring perches and the shock mounts. How do I determine the correct position to weld the mounts in the proper location? When I cleaned the axle I found the LS tag. How do I decipher the info tag to determine the gear ratio?

If it was a manual trans MJ it should have 3.07:1 and if it was an auto it would be 3.55:1 (the tag should have the ratio on there somewhere) To confirm, mark a line on the drum or ax flange and have a friend spin the pinion & count turns until the axle makes one revolution. Approx 3 turns of the pinion = 3.07, 3.5 turns = 3.55, 4 turns = 4.10, 4.5 turns = 4.56 etc...

Tom Woods site has a better description of setting up pinion angles than I can easily explain... when I did my MJ into SOA, I left the OEM pads in place and had the new welded over them-paralell angles. I didn't have a SYE so I shimmed them to suit.

The two concepts are:

For a stock-type slipyoke (2 U-joint type shaft) you want the pinion angle approx equal to or a degree below what the transfer case output is (for example, if the tcase shaft is pointing down at 5* below horizontal the pinion should be pointing up at 4*...under torque, the pinion should rise some and the angles ought to be proper)

For a SYE, the pinion points up at the t-case output. The misalignmemt is dealt with by the double-cardan driveshaft.

check out www.4xshaft.com

If it is still correct, the tag will tell you the ratio. There should be two lines of numbers stamped into the metal and I'll use my old one as an example:
3.54 46-13

The first line, for all I know could be nuclear launch codes...it's irrelevant.
The second line not only IDd the ratio (3.54) but it also told the ring gear toothcount (46) and the pinion tooth count (13). 46 divided by 13 is 3.54... If you crack the cover and look at the ring gear there is a similar stamped tooth count on the ring gear. You should do this anyway as you'll want to make sure the oil is changed as you inspect for internal damage.

woody thanks for the tip. It's got 3.07 gears. When I rebuild the axle I plan on putting in a locker and deeper gears (either 4.56 or 4.88 just not sure which right now). Would the LSD be worth anything other then scrap?

The LSD will work fine for a street and mild off-road XJ - it makes a big difference in traction over an open rear.
Too bad you are in CA - I have an XJ D44 housing that I am converting to my MJ today - if we were close I would have swapped.

karstic said:
woody thanks for the tip. It's got 3.07 gears. When I rebuild the axle I plan on putting in a locker and deeper gears (either 4.56 or 4.88 just not sure which right now). Would the LSD be worth anything other then scrap?

man you found a 3.07 D44! thats what i need, got a manual trans and dont got the money to regear. whered you get yours? anyone else seen em around?

Blackash132 said:
what xj's came with Dana 44's?
Some 1987s. There are rumors that some folks have found 88s and 89s with the D44, but those sightings are lss frequent than these:
bigfoot.jpg

If I could Photochop, I'd add an "89 D44" under his arm.... :looney:

Yucca-Man said:
Some 1987s. There are rumors that some folks have found 88s and 89s with the D44, but those sightings are lss frequent than these:
bigfoot.jpg

If I could Photochop, I'd add an "89 D44" under his arm.... :looney:
the most truthful and accurate post ive seen all day

Last edited:
Re: d44's in XJ

There were a few D44's in 87 - 91 XJ's - with light or heavy towing packages. I got one out of a 87 Laredo, several out of Wagoneers.
There are still some around - couple listed in the classifieds,
Charlie at C&N Auto 401-762-9494 has at least 3 for sale in RI.

the LSD that comes from the factory in the dana 44 is a trac-loc, it has clutch packs in it that wear out within 50-70 k miles i am told. i rebuilt my axles and put tractech trutrac diffs in, they are LSD's not lockers however they use helical gears instead of clutch packs so basicly they never wear out, they are invisible on the street except when pulling out at an intersection in the rain which they are noticable only in the sense that i can stomp on it in the rain making a sharp turn and i dont have 1 wheel break loose and spin, instead they both grab and i have tracion, the same in the snow, and offroad they have been great, however if your gonna be in situations where you will have one of the tires completely off the ground they will act like an open diff cause they need some resistance at both tires to work, because they arent locking diffs, anyways i lovem, no loud clanging or ratcheting sounds just traction when i need it.

87CherokeeChief said:
man you found a 3.07 D44! thats what i need, got a manual trans and dont got the money to regear. whered you get yours? anyone else seen em around?

I also have the 5 speed.
I got an XJ D44 with 3.55 gears, then went to a wrecker with lots of XJs and got a matching front axle for $70.00

joe88xj said:
however if your gonna be in situations where you will have one of the tires completely off the ground they will act like an open diff cause they need some resistance at both tires to work, because they arent locking diffs, anyways i lovem, no loud clanging or ratcheting sounds just traction when i need it.

I believe a slight pressing of the brakes can provide that needed resistance, allowing them to kick in when you have a wheel up.

WTF? that's the first time I've ever seen anyone use my jeep as their avitar. :looser:

In my experience the trac-loc works when it feels like it. LS are better than being open, but not a replacement for a locker.

Zoner said:
I believe a slight pressing of the brakes can provide that needed resistance, allowing them to kick in when you have a wheel up.

Just use the brakes, not the e-brake. I was using the e-brake to do this and twisted the backing plate right off. Seems the e-brake doesn't put even pressure on both brake shoes.

Back