• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny problem

cjs98xj

NAXJA Forum User
i used the search option yet i couldnt find exactly what i was looking for, i have a 98 cherokee classic auto 4.0L and when i first start off and im in drive my transmission will act for a few secs like it is in neutral then kick in gear hard, it does it esesially after reversing, and startups and it seems to do it when you go over speed bumps (even at a crawl) im not very knowlegeable with transmissions, or even know which one i have, but if anyone could help me figure out what could be the problem, i just dont want to have to put down a lot of cash for some dude to look at it of which i might have to do... thanks

and does lifting your jeep and bigger tires n all put a lot of wear n tear on ur tranny? nad if so what are ways to make it stronger... any info is more that i have now.. help is much appreciated

i would check the fluid level first. it could be low. it must be checked on level ground idling in neutral. also an auxiliary trans cooler cant hurt if it is not equipped.

ill be honest i havent been that great at checking my transmission fluid as of late but i swear i checked it not too long ago and it was fine and i checked it today and it was dry!?!?!?!??! so im guessing there must be a leak somewhere... but where??? i know thats a crazy question to ask due to the fact that there are many things that could gho wrong with the tranny but as i said before any sugestions are better than none

Put a big piece of clean cardboard under it when you park it for the nite.
Look for red fluid.
Go under it and look for trans fluid on the bottom of it, especially from trans pan back. Red fluid... if it's leaking bad, there should be quite a bit of it.

Make sure you use a Dextron/Mercon type fluid, NOT ATF+ ! Get a couple quarts, put about 1/2 quart in and check the level (engine running/neutral)Pour it in slow and keep checking it, don't over fill it.

Back