• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New clutch question

lugnut4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting a new clutch set in my '87 XJ and was wondering if it matters how I install the new pressure plate. Book says the old one should be marked and reinstalled the same way. Does it matter with a new one? Can I just install it without worrying how it goes in?

I don't think it matters with a new one. I installed a new set in my 88 xj a few months back and didn't matter. Make sure you line it and the clutch up with the alignment tool that should have come with kit. Also be sure and install new pilot bearing that should have come with kit also. In my case, installint the trannie/ transfer case was easier than getting it out. Go figure. Don

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure when I saw a yellow paint mark on one end of the new pressure plate. I got a complete Luk clutch set and it comes with the alignment tool so I'll be sure it's straight while I tighten the bolts.

If you have some paint on the pressure plate, you might want to look on the clutch plate itself to see if there is a similar mark. Dunno...Maybe wait a little and see if someone else has a more knowledgable answer before proceeding. It was first time I put in a clutch and it seems to work fine in mine. Don

Back