• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really Wierd Electical Problem

VVPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I'm driving peacefully down the road and turn a corner and my dome light comes on, then off after the steering wheel is returned to home position. No big deal I can deal with that. Now, left hand turn signal stays on (solid), then key gets stuck in ingnition switch. Great!! Ingition switch is replaced and so is the switch thingy down at the bottom of the steering column that the ingition switch is connected to by a rod. Now, key works fine, just like a new car. I my problems are solved...NO!! Can't be that simple.

Tonight, I am driving home, and my dome light starts coming on when I turn the steering wheel to full turn. Then, and here is where it gets really wierd!! When I break, the dome light flashes on and off, flickering and staying on for a few seconds and then off again and a flicker here and a flicker there. But wait there's more. The same thing happens when I accelerate from a stop. Also happens when I go over a decent bump, like RR tracks. And for the Coup-De-Gras-the horn blows intermittenly in harmony with the dome lights, though only occasionally at this point. I tried shutting the headlights off and no change other than driving around with no headlights on. I should also add at this point that the button/switch for the horn hasn't worked since I had the steering column apart fixing the ignition switch, the plastic spring clip deal broke so the button doesn't make contact with the inner horn contacts.

Imagine, if you will, waiting at an intersection--suddenly your attention is drawn to a XJ pulling up with horn blowing, dome light strobing to reveal a lonely driver wailing away on the steering wheel trying to make it stop.

I felt like an Idiot. Of course I pulled fuses when I got home. It was to dark out there on the lonely country road to perform surgery. Which in hindsight might have been the better option as I surely alerted everyone in my neighborhood that I had arived.

I haven't troubleshooted anything yet, because it just happened tonight, but any thoughts you all have would greatly be appreciated. I searched the problem and found some things that were close, but more related to door switch problems. What is throwing me off is the breaking and accelerating making the lights come on and horn blow. Well, and the turning of the steering wheel. I don't think that is a switch problem, but as I said, I haven't checked anything yet, that will be tomarrow.

Thanks for Your Help,

VVPXJ

loose/abbraised door switch wire. Sounds like you're getting an intermittant short on a wire leading to a door sensor switch. I would check those circuits first... sounds like a standard jeep wire insulation wear problem.

I had a similar problem turned out to be In the dash itself. Wires rubbing against a metal harness Stripped the rubber coating and then left the bare metal exposed to tap on the metal harness shorted a bunch of things out...

Back