• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are all NP242 Tailshafts created equal?

XJourney

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any difference in Tailshafts for any given year of the NP242 TC.
In other word will a 88 tailshaft be the same as a 01 tailshaft?
And what about a grand cherokee are they the same as well?

I am looking for one that is in good shape either to replace mine(problem with SYE), use for a core on a TW SYE or as a trailspare? :scottm:

Hans
Thanks in Advance.

I've got an entire 242 I'll give you if you pay for shipping. It doesn't work in 4wd, but 2wd works fine. The tailshaft is in perfect condition. This was from an '89 with an AW-4 auto. Shipping would be from 94303. Don't know the weight, but I would say around 65 lbs???

I am interested. If it will work in my TC.
Not sure about the shipping. If it is too much over $65 would you pull it for me for $40 in your pocket and I pay shipping?

I just went onto UPS website and the said it would be around $30 for ground.
So I am very interested pending on wether it will work in mine or not.

It isn't cut for SYE is it?

Hans
Thank you

Last edited:
Are the splines different on the input only? I know there are different input splines 21 and 23 count. Is this correct?
I only want the tail shaft. Does the different rear seal (internal versus external) affect the tailshaft?

Hans

The more I read and search the more I think the I can only use a 96+ NP242 transfer case. :dunno: Something about the sealing surface. Does anyone know of a good source for these shafts?

Back