• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar mount/drill/ajustable

What to do to "adjust" trackbar after 3.5" lift

• Drill a hole 3/4" to the drivers side - FREE!!!

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • HD Trackbar Mount - ($60-$80)

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • HD Adjustable Trackbar ($125-$250)

Votes: 69 77.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ok, so i tried searching... and nothin real true, hence a poll:

I bought a 3.5" front end lift for 250 with coils, LCA's, Disco's, Sterring Stabilizer, and Shocks (Rear 4.5" full spring packs and shocks) totaling $450.00 Shipped, and now need a trackbar "ajustment" what to do?

Trackbar fix for lift:
Drill a new hole and use the old one - Free
Buy a new trackbar - ajustable ($100 to $250)
Buy a new bracket for the top of existing trackbar ($50-$70)

I plan on buying an ajustable one eventualy, just wondering if i can get away with spending little for now.
please post brand of trackbar/mount if you say buy one, im trying to get an idea of what to do.
:helpme:

XJ_ranger said:
Trackbar fix for lift:
Drill a new hole and use the old one - Free

Go with the cheap rout :scared:. Than when you have the money to buy an adjustable one go for it. When I did my 5.5 lift I just drilled a new hole and was done. The only draw back it that you limit your droop in the front with the stock trackbar.

i say dont cut corners on important things.. my daily driver has a 3.5" RE kit with their "standard duty" Adj trackbar which mounts to the stock locations.. the trail rig runs the RE 4.5" S/F kit with the HD track bar and HD bracket.... you certainly can re-drill your axle bracket to relocate it, and you will have people tell you their's was "fine" for XX years with the same thing.. make your own decision and be realistic with yourself about how soon you really will get around to ordering the new trackbar....

mike

Funny you should ask that...

I just went through this on my XJ, but with around 4" of lift.

Tried the relocation bracket - in summary, it puts the axle toward center, but throws the trackbar into an angle steeper than your lift already did.
Note how the bracket lowers the trackbar, adding to the already steep angle:
TrackbarReloc.Brkt.jpg

So I removed the bracket and redrilled the mount - Still a steep angle, and drilling it is a one time shot, no room for error (which I was off slightly) and no room to adjust later if the suspension sags or you add more lift. You may get it right (I should've been more careful) but you'll probably need adjustment down the road.

I now am running the RE adjustable trackbar and the axle is centered perfectly and I have ZERO bumpsteer.
All is now right with the XJ (see hole to right of stock hole):
REATB,OMEstabilizer.JPG

Save yourself the troubles based on my hell - get an adjustable trackbar. The basic RE one is only $150.

Yeah I started with a 3" lift and had the stupid relocation bracket. Well I busted 2 of them, plus as mentioned above they blow for the angles they produce.
Then I bought the RE adjustable with upper heim joint. Its works, but now that I am at 6" with 33"s, I am kicking myself in the ass for not getting the Heavy Duty bar and bracket with johnny joint.

I say don't go cheap when it comes to something as serious as a trac bar. More then likely it won't take long for a ghetto rigging to develope problems like death wobble or something.

Just my 02

MSHarnett said:
I am kicking myself in the ass for not getting the Heavy Duty bar and bracket with johnny joint.

I say don't go cheap when it comes to something as serious as a trac bar.

I went through the same thing....don't skimp on thisor you'll end up spending money in the long run....get the HD adjustable one now and fuggedaboutit.

The poll is invalid -- you left off an important option.

Between drilling the hole and either of the heavy duty options is the option of buying an adjustable track bar with a standard (non HD) tie rod end for the frame end. Rusty's sells one. It can be upgraded to the heavy duty configuration later simply by replacing the tie rod end and the stock frame bracket. This is what I recommend for you if you're looking for a lower cost approach now and plan to upgrade later.

Drilling the hole is a one-time attemp. Screw it up and you're done. Plus, wherever yiou drill it, it'll never be exactly right.

I've ran a relocation bracket (axle side), Rusty's adjustable track bar later upgraded with a HD mount, and RE adjustable with HD mount.

Save some money and headaches and get the adjustable track bar and HD mount. If you get them at the same time you can save some money (you don't have to buy a TRE that you are just going to be taking off once you get the HD mount). It is also easier to install. When you take off the stock track bar, leave it connected to the stock mount. That way you don't have to try to take apart the joint which sometimes requires a pickle wrench or puller, and you don't risk damaging it.

You also left off another option:
Leave it off set to one side until you get the ADJ trackbar. No cost also

In my mind there is nothing wrong with haveing the axle off to one side (as far as driving characteristic. And it is much better (in my mind) than re-drilling the trackbar hole. But getting the Adjustable Trackbar of your choice is the way to go, what you will eventually do anyway, and what you should do NOW, not later.

Michael

Eagle's point (as seems to be the trend) is valid and well taken.

Anyone running the RRO trackar (cheaper than all the others and whenever i call them, they swear by it...)
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjtrackbar.html

thanks for all the help,
XJ_ranger

The JKS/Currie/ORGS adjustable trac bar, under $200.
No extra brackets, max droop, and strong.
Don't skimp on the important things.

Hell if I'm paying 200 bucks for a trac bar, I'd rather get a bracket like the one RE has. The thing I disloke about the JKS/ORGS bar is not only do it not have a heavy duty bracket, but the adjuster is on the lower portion of the bar, which has a possability of getting scrapped by rocks and messing up the thread. I still say the RE HD trac bar is better, but thats just my opinion.

I have the drop bracket like TwistedCopper, darn thing broke twice (now its welded), and it has bumpsteer from the angle.

Its livable, but I dont like the bumpsteer & cheesyness factor and will be getting an adjustable TB as soon as I can.

i went with the ajustable from RR with the intetion to upgrade to HD when i get funds...

thanks for the help everyone

I've been looking at track bars and have found that PORC (sorry don't have a link right now but can get you one if you can't find it) carries an economy adjustable with a TRE for $90 and have a heavy duty bar with heim for $120. Prices look good and i think I will get the heim joint one. Anybody run this trackbar before?

To me it doesn't make sense to buy parts more than once. Do it right the first time and get the Rubicon Express HD Bracket $78 and HD Adj. Trackbar $165.

I just realized thats the new store in town!They're having the "Grand Opening" next weekend.Some of us were going to go but if thats the kind of stuff they sell I might as well just stay home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back