• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Electric compressor

87mj

NAXJA Forum User
Who make the best one. I have a set of 8gal taknd off a old gas compressor and will mount them under the toolbox of my mj. Need a wat to fill it. Would like to fill tires and run a impact gun when needed for tire changes. ny suggestions. Also, how hard is it to fit a sanded compressor to a 4.0 without ac, is it just some different brackets?

I have the Quick Air 2 (single cyl) because I was told that the QA3 had overheating issues. The Viair 400 says that it is rated @ 100% duty, though I cannot confirm that it is true. Given the option of running an AC compressor, especially since you dont already have AC anyway would be the direction I would go. Hit the bone yards for brackets off an similar xj. I don't know if the XJ compressor is "the" preferred unit, But someone else will chime in. :eyes:

check out foothill offroad. They haev one that is like 4cfm. Its a little on the large side but for $300 its the best one ive found for the price. The viair 400 has a duty cycle but can run for 40 min. before you have to let it cool. It does get very hot.

but whats it cost to have it filled

Ramsey said:
but whats it cost to have it filled

10 bucks.

a 5 gal tank fills up my 35's for four trips and one of those times filled up a set of 40's also. Not too bad. I also keep a little walmart special 12v compresser in the glove box in case I run out. East project to do, jsut one stop to home depot and a welding supply company.

basically 20 bucks at most a year and I use it for air tools sometines.

thats nice, i might need to look into that, what all is needed to make it work

Ramsey said:
thats nice, i might need to look into that, what all is needed to make it work

extra weight too. Those 10lb bottles are heavy w/ regulators, hoses, chucks, fitting, brackets, etc..

-Red

I just installed a Viair 450c and it is 100% duty. I have only tested on 1 tire but it looks like it will work well. I picked it up at a ricer shop. They do a lot of air bag suspension work and they were about $80.00 cheaper than 4wd hardware. I dont have a tank on it yet just a pressure switch and hose. I will add a tank one day but with 100% duty cycle it should handle 4 tires fine.

how fast did it work

The tank doesn't weight that much. 10 pounds max. all you need is a tank, and a regulator from a welding shop. go to home depot or similiar and look for the hose quick connects that will hook up to it and some of their yellow hose that rolls up and any misc parts from the water irrigation section that would help with fittings. quick and easy. can take a pic of it tonight for you if you want it.

built mine like this. regulator was from a welding supply
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/General/LiquidCO2/LiquidCO2.htm

dandecicco said:
10 bucks.

a 5 gal tank fills up my 35's for four trips and one of those times filled up a set of 40's also. Not too bad. I also keep a little walmart special 12v compresser in the glove box in case I run out. East project to do, jsut one stop to home depot and a welding supply company.

basically 20 bucks at most a year and I use it for air tools sometines.

dandecicco:

Can you please post a list of parts, regulator, safety valve, etc. that you used. I have a 5# CO2 bottle that I plan to use. Please post the source for the parts too. UPS will have delivered my new ARB Air Locker by the time I get home tonight.

TIA
MoFo

i am using the saden compressor that came with my xj it works great i have a 7gal tank straped where the factory spare goes the only bumber is oiling the compressor but after a while i will figure a fast way to do it i air up 33's in under a minute if you have a hand throttle you can keep the rrrr's up around 1.5k air tools work great my impact gun draws it down a little with continous use but i can take all 4 tires off without worrying about it

About all big tanks are good for is using air tools. They don't do much when airing up tires. The volume of the tank gets dumped quickly into the first tire and then you're just on the pump. A small tank for a little buffer for the compressor is a good idea, but not much is needed. The difference in overall air up times with or without a tank is very small.

As for running air tools, I don't think it's worth carrying the weight. There isn't a trail repair that you can save a significant amount of time on using air tools to justify carrying them.......in my opinion. I used to carry them, but I never really used them, and less weight means more performance and less breakage. By the time you get your air hose and impact out, I'll have grabbed my star wrench and have the wheel lugs off already.

I've had both a QuickAir2 and now an ExtemeAir, and I am happy with both. The ExtremeAir is a heavy duty, 100% duty cycle compressor that works very well and should last indefinitely. Some like the CO2 tanks, but to me it's too much hassle. I could care less about portability and air tools, and I don't want to bother having to fill it occasionally......keep it simple, there are enough other things that have to be done.

Who needs AC anyway?
f72bbc3b.jpg

A 2 or 3 gallon tank I picked up at the flea market for 5 clams.

Who needs a back seat anyway?
f72bbda0.jpg

Pressure switch, fittings, tank and hoses, I've got about $60 - $70 in the whole shebang.

Steve

Simple
1. CO2 tank
2. regulator (dual gauge but doesn't mean anything, just on sale. actually don't even need a gauge)
3. tank comes with emergency pop-off valve

1-3 all from a welding supply shop

4. quick connect directly to gauge/ regulator
5.yellow curly hose to that. you will need the connections here. male quick connect for femal connect on regulator, reducerfemale and one more male reducer to fit into the little connection on yellow hose.
6. tire chuck hose (home depots is blue about 2 feet long)

4-5 can be found in the tool corall in home depot (but some of the fittings/reducers will be in the irrigation section with all the brass fittings. jsut ask employees

don't forget teflon tape for the connections with thread!

this help. can take pic tonight and post tomorrow.
dan

if your breaking cause you have and extra 40lbs of tools you have bigger problems but for me poping off my wheel is as eazy as the squeeze of a trigger i love it not to mention if you have to do some work on something you haven't touched in a while i like spending as little time laying in the sand / mud fixing somehting as i can and my compressor helps with that i no longer have to brace myself in the right position to break a stuck bolt free.for the extra space of a tank and and impact gun it saves me time and energy (man i sound reeeel lazy) but think of the other things you can run off your oba air hammer, zip tool, sawzall, just to name a few

Back