• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-Lift use on stock XJ...?

jnewell

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wondering if I can use a Hi-Lift jack safely on my stock XJ? It has front and rear hitch receivers, so there is a sturdy, flat place to jack on...I think? How secure is this -- chances of the vehicle slipping off the jack? I am assuming that I can't/shouldn't use the hook-type adapter on a stock XJ bumper.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

i try not to use a high lift of death on my xj unless i pretty much have no other choice. i ussualy just place it right under the front bumper as close to the frame mounts as possible. if u jack on the outside of the bumper or middle, it can bend it. someone on here has a white xj with a realy bent up front bumper from using a hi lift in the middle. i use the reciever hitch in the rear.

kolby

Agreed - if you have to use the hi-Lift, use it near the bumper mounts. Don't know about the hook-type adapter though, that might work if it's what I'm thinking of. Either way, keep spectators clear and spend as little time as possible under/near the Jeep while it is being supported solely by that jack.

i tried to use a hilift on my stock xj, everywhere I tried bent the xj rocker panels and bumper... very noticible on the bumper, rockers were trashed anyways, but never even got a front tire off the ground.
I'd definitely not recommend using it on a stock rear bumper - the mounts are really crappy.

Thanks for the input on the stock bumper -- what I really need is feedback on whether front and/or rear class 3 hitch receivers will work with the Hi-Lift...

...will the hitch support the vertical load of the vehicle's weight?

...will the Hi-Lift safely lift on the hitch receiver, or will it slip off/out? I am assuming that you wind up having to lift the whole end (front or rear), both wheels, if you lift from the hitch, since it doesn't go very far over towards the corners of the vehicle?

Thanks for any info on these questions

Technically, yes. (but be very careful)

It may seem dumb, but make sure that your wheels are chocked and you have a solid mounting surface. The jack has a tendency to lean (or fall) at the most inopportune time.

Again, be careful.

In the rear I often use the shackle in my reciever hitch.
Don't try useing your paper thin bumpers even with the bumper lift hilift makes, It's for thicker bumpers like the ones on chevys and fords.
You can however get a Lift-Mate from high lift for the same price, but you can only lift one tire at a time. once the tire is up fill the hole with dirt or rocks or what ever you can find.
anyways practice at home before you get stuck and try something that won't work and hurt your self or your Jeep.
lift2.JPG

lift3.JPG

I have succesfuly used my hilift on my stock bumpers right at the bumper mounts. I used it both on the trail and couple times in the garage to get it up on the jackstands and I have never had any problems or any bends in the bumper. One thing to be carefull of though is that it might get tippy and since the bumpers are smooth underneath it can slide off sideways if angled badly.

ive lifted on the reciever and put a chain around the lift bolted in the safety chain mounts of the reciever to keep the jack from falling out or slipping off completely...

i have also lifted on the front bumper and had teh xj slide to one side and the jack fall scarry stuff that hi lift is...
yeah, id say level surface (preferably not in a river like i had) and chocked tires with anything you can find, once yo think you hae enough holding them from moving, add more stuff to keep them from moving, especially when lifting the rear end.... (E-break only hold rear tires)

jnewell said:
Thanks for the input on the stock bumper -- what I really need is feedback on whether front and/or rear class 3 hitch receivers will work with the Hi-Lift...

...will the hitch support the vertical load of the vehicle's weight?

...will the Hi-Lift safely lift on the hitch receiver, or will it slip off/out? I am assuming that you wind up having to lift the whole end (front or rear), both wheels, if you lift from the hitch, since it doesn't go very far over towards the corners of the vehicle?

Thanks for any info on these questions

I put my hi Lift in the receiver and jacked both tires up about 8"...until the jack started to sway and the whole rear end thumped right down... Luckily I was the only one around and I was able to run away when I saw the jack leaning... Next time I just gotta keep tellin myself that the E-brake only locks the back wheels! -Shawn

i bought me one of them big tall black (60" cast/steel) hi lifts and after about 10 minutes of messing around with it and bout another 5 of the damned thing leaning then falling (on level ground) i came to two conclusions... the bumper attachment is a real P.O.S. and i'd better not ever need to use that damned jack otherwise the damned thing is gonna kill me i swear it already tried twice... well thats my rant for the day :soapbox:

GI-John said:
Technically, yes. (but be very careful)

It may seem dumb, but make sure that your wheels are chocked and you have a solid mounting surface. The jack has a tendency to lean (or fall) at the most inopportune time.

Again, be careful.
My thoughts exactly.

I have successfully used the bumper attachment, but it must be done carefully. I've also used the receiver hitch, and again, you must be very careful as the jack tends to be unstable the higher you lift. This is just another good reason to have rock rails. :)

bigwhitey said:
In the rear I often use the shackle in my reciever hitch.
Don't try useing your paper thin bumpers even with the bumper lift hilift makes, It's for thicker bumpers like the ones on chevys and fords.
You can however get a Lift-Mate from high lift for the same price, but you can only lift one tire at a time. once the tire is up fill the hole with dirt or rocks or what ever you can find.
anyways practice at home before you get stuck and try something that won't work and hurt your self or your Jeep.
lift2.JPG

lift3.JPG

Here's a better pic of the Lift Mate. :) Usually enough to convince a customer to buy one when they buy a Hi-Lift.

Left%20or%20Right%20Side.JPG

Back