• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator trans line removal

bluetrain

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I admit it, I flunked the test. I have a 1990 Cherokee 4.0 with the automatic transmission and I am in the process of removing the radiator. My problem is the bottom trans line that I cannot figure out how to unhook. It is a 1/4" tube that comes out of the radiator and does a 90 degree turn and is attached to a metal fitting on the end of a rubber hose. The fitting rotates but I'm not real sure how to undo it. Anyone know the secret?

Thanks, bluetrain

The fitting between the rubber hose and the metal line should not swivel or move or come apart because it is a crimped hydraulic fitting that is "permenant". (until it leaks) The top and bottom line should be removed the same. Loosen fitting in radiator and pull straight out.

i just cut mine and ran an external cooler from pep boys....its a Hayden and work well ......just bypass that cooler if it will save ya a headache!

Chewy

Line Removal

I just did this on my 1990 a couple of months back. On my '90, the flexible transmission cooler line attached to the metal line coming out of the radiator with a push-on 'quick connect' fitting, located below the auxiliary electric cooling fan. Take the fan out for access- 2 screws and the electrical plug-in connector- easy. To release the line, squeeze the two plastic ears, then pull the fitting off the metal line. Getting it back together was bothersome- had to be aligned just right, then popped in. The lower metal tranny cooler connection tube does not disconnect from the radiator- it looks like it's threaded in, but mine wouldn't budge- I tried on my old OEM rad when I replaced it. I cut out that part of the rad with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder to see the insides- no way I would mess with that! I pulled the tranny line to fully flush the transmission fluid, changing the fluid in the pan, then starting the jeep and pumping about 2 litres/quarts out and adding more through the dipstick tube until the stuff coming out was clean. This way you change the fluid in the pump and torque converter as well as the ATF in the pan.

Just put in an OEM trans cooler and the newer quick connects don't have ears. If you have one like this, you can go to about any parts store and ask them for the tool to remove quick connects. For about $10 you get an assortment of little plastc disk things. Choose the right size, snap it over your cooling line and slide it into the quick connect. This releases it so you can pop it loose. When you are done, stab it back in. The tool looks like a little plastic top hat.

Thanks, what I thought was a gasket was indeed two plastic ears that compress and the line popped right off.

Back