• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Disco Mod

87CherokeeChief

NAXJA Forum User
alright, finally got these suckers done. i extended my stock sway bars 2 inches by adding the non threaded part of a 1/2 inch half threaded bolt. I decided i didnt want to have the longer links hanging down. So i needed a way to disconnect the top. Well i have seen the ones you can buy for $100+ so i decided to make my own. Since i have my rear swaybar removed i took the little eye things that the bolt goes through to mount and cut them off. Then i cut the top part(just under the bolt) of my front swaybars, and welded the eye on. So now i have a swaybar with an eye on each end. to connect it i needed something like this...
swaybarlink1.jpg

swaybarlink.jpg

That was my prototype i made. i asked the good ole fabricator Chris what size he'd reccemend to make these. told me 3/16ths. Got my metal together and started putting them together based off my model. finally got an agle grinder with a cut off wheel and it was soo easy to cut. after that was squared away, i cut 2 pieces of 3/16 x 1 1/2" flat stock into 2 inch sections for the side and one piece at 1 1/2" for thje top. drilled a 7/16 hole in each of the 2" pieces(towards the bottom) and also in the 1 1/2" piece right in the middle. Welded them into a U shape, then took th bolt i cut off the stock sway bar and put it in the 7/16 hole of the 1 1/2" piece and welded that sucker in. and basically had what is shown above, with thicker metal and no bolt head. then these pieces and attached them to the sway bar with a 7/16 cotter pin and key(im pretty sure that is what they are called) and also put a 7/16 cotter pin and key in the bottom. so now they disconnect with the cotter pin(like a hitch pin) on both ends...looks like this
Aug29-01.jpg

Aug29-12.jpg

Aug29-05.jpg

ENJOY!!!

Nice job.

Is that a tine pin or hitch pin on the bottom? If it's a tine pin watch for signs of stressing at the holes that are inside the link eye. I've seen them break.

I use handled hitch pins because they are solid and much stronger. Only catch is you have to drill the hole where you need it, but that doesn't look like that would be a problem for you.

disco1.jpg

disco2.jpg

hmm it most resembles a hitch pin except it has more than one hole in it so it fits more applications. either way ill check them out every time i disco them and if i havent in a while to see how they are holding up.

I left the standard stud in the bottom and drilled a hole through the end, also did the same to the top of the swaybar link. Now I just use wing nuts and 'R' clips. This takes about 30seconds to take them off and no rattles etc.

aaa.jpg

Cheers
Steve

i like how you did those, i was thinking of doing something like that but i didnt for 2 reasons, i didnt want to have to deal with drilling a hole in the bolt, and i like fabricatiing and welding my own stuff! but those still look good and are functional then thats peeerfect.

Back