• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 AX-15 bellhousing questions HELP

KillerZJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee. I am currently doing a manual transmission swap. The donor transmission was from a 1991 XJ 4WD and I bought it from the user mtkbr here on NAXJA. The 1993 Grand Cherokee's with the 5 speed were really rare, anyways, they used an external slave setup. You guys with the 95 Cherokees w/ ax-15's have that too.

Main question: Will a NVG3550 bellhousing from a TJ bolt directly up to my 1991 AX-15? It also has the external slave setup. TIA.

Harry

That is a good question !!!
While I am sure the bell housing will bolt up to the 91-04 4.0L.... I doubt whether they used the same bell housing for both transmissions or provide for the new bell housing to have bolt holes to accomodate both transmissions.

Charles

CharlesS said:
That is a good question !!!
While I am sure the bell housing will bolt up to the 91-04 4.0L.... I doubt whether they used the same bell housing for both transmissions or provide for the new bell housing to have bolt holes to accomodate both transmissions.

Charles

I have seen some vehicles that only use 4 bolts for the bellhousing-to-transmission mounting. I think the 91ax-15 has like 10 or 11?? What if only 5 or 6 bolt holes matched up? Would that be too weak?

Last edited:
it is not whether it would be too weak or not but if the correct combination of holes will line the tranny up with the center of the bell housing. I would tend to go with a NV bell housing with the correct bell housing for the tranny or othewise recenter and drill new holes if possible...

KillerZJ said:
I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee. I am currently doing a manual transmission swap. The donor transmission was from a 1991 XJ 4WD and I bought it from the user mtkbr here on NAXJA. The 1993 Grand Cherokee's with the 5 speed were really rare, anyways, they used an external slave setup. You guys with the 95 Cherokees w/ ax-15's have that too.

Main question: Will a NVG3550 bellhousing from a TJ bolt directly up to my 1991 AX-15? It also has the external slave setup. TIA.

Harry
The external Hydro setup came on all XJ’s after a certain year (maybe 95ish) If I’m reading you right, seems to me easiest way to go would be to stay with an ax15 bell with external slave and a Grand hydro setup.

Bronco said:
The external Hydro setup came on all XJ’s after a certain year (maybe 95ish) If I’m reading you right, seems to me easiest way to go would be to stay with an ax15 bell with external slave and a Grand hydro setup.

So I should change the 91 bellhousing for a 95 bellhousing?

I just mounted the XJ Master cyl to the firewall (had to drill out holes) and I will be brazing a brake line onto the master cyl and putting a double flare on the end of that, and making my current hydro line (which is made of brake line from the auto parts store) mount right up to it like I did the ZJ master cyl. I can tell a huge difference between the stroke of the ZJ master and the XJ master. A goood difference on my part.

Bronco said:
1994 was the first year for the XJ external slave, 93 was the last for the internal.

If the shift lever can be pushed into a gear position but you can't feel anything moving inside the tranny while you do that, then check the gearbox.
If you can't move it into gear, then the clutch may not be disengaging.
Try with the transfer in neutral. If you can then move the lever into gear, then it's definitely not disengaging. Otherwise, Gearbox again.
If the clutch is not disengaging, then the geometry of your t-case / release bearing / release fork may not be allowing the bearing to travel far enough to release.
Or the Hydraulic SC isn't pushing far enough. If the stroke on the SC is too short.........

jldiaz thanks for the help. but why would the SC have to short of a stroke when I am using an XJ master cylinder? I don't think I let you guys know that is what I was using though. Sorry. ButIt will not go in gear w/ the t-case in neutral either. The Jeep is off, so the clutch not engaing and disengaging shouldn't have anything to do with it, correct? TTT thanks guys.

If your belhousing is a bit longer than the original, then the SC's stroke would not be enough. Also, if the volume pumped by the PC is less than what the SC needs, you'll have too short a stroke. The volume can be calculated by multiplying the base area (3.1416 * (R**2) where R is the radius, remember?)of the cylinder by by the stroke. This should be the same in both cylinders.

Back