• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff and t-case vacuum lines? Did Search.

JT Spencer

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently purchased a 89 laredo. It has 4.5 RE lift, Detroit locker in front, axles changed out to one peice. Plate over old vacuum switch location. The old vacuum lines are danglin, do the need to be sealed off?

Also it has a slip yoke eliminator at t-case. The old vacuum line plug is just danglin. Looked at manual and still cant find a plug-in location on t-case? I am assuming the old vac switch was located on the old "end casing" pre SYO?? Also do these need to be sealed off?

Thanks

There is an aftermarket kit to convert a Dana 30 disconnect axle from a vacuum actuated to a cable. I have seen the instruction book posted on-line but can't find a link. Do a google search for "4X4 POSI-LOK AXLE ENGAGEMENT KIT" and sure you will find the instructions.

In the instructions they tell you how to cap off the vacuum lines so you will still get the PART TIME light.

Thanks Martin
The lights would be a nice plus, but mostly I am worried about vacuum leaks.

It late but the light has to come on so you have 4WD. It also warns you so you don't drive on paved roads if you have NP231 Command trak transfercase. Get the hoses plugged off and connected and you will be working like it was when it was stock except for the removal of the vacuum motor.

If the lines at the transfer case and at the front axle are dangling, you probably only have one vacuum leak and it needs to be capped. The only vacuum you should have is one source vacuum line from the intake manifold to the plug at the transfer case. Once it's capped then that entire vacuum harness will be of no use.

The original vacuum plug location on the transfer case should have been on the tailshaft housing, which was likely replaced with the addition of the SYE.

Back