• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

difference in xj's

option packages... most differences were interior/exterior apointments and such... there were few "mechanical" options available on the XJs.. the selec-track transfer case was an option available on certain models.. as well as which engine you wanted.. it would take alot of detailed info to spell out the actual differences between each package.. i'm sure someone here knows this off the top of their head too... is there something specific you are looking to find on an XJ??

well, from what i can tell.....
laredo = power option package
country = power options + leather + rear tire carrier
.......thats what ive noticed about some of the local ones, but I may be wrong.

several others -

pioneer - one notch above just a cherokee or later cherokee SE

chief - basically same as pioneer but earlier years, but with the words CHEROKEE CHIEF emblazoned on the side of the vehicle in large print

briarwood - woodgrain

limited - leather, power, overhead console, mmhmm

laredo - some of the options of a limited but not as many

sport - ? I don't really know what to expect from a sport, as i've seen them with everything in them but leather

You never really are guaranteed certain options from each model because they changed the combinations so many times, and there were so many options available for each package. Basically though, if your cherokee has any sort of name after it, you're better off than a base model. beyond there, who knows.

The problem is these names were not used every year so it is hard to compare. Also you forgot the XJ Wagoneer which was a woodgrain contact paper XJ with 4 bult headlights and full red tail lights.

If you wonder about what engines were available go to rockauto.com and look for the year you are interested in. They have a good listing of all models for each year. Mechanically XJs are basically the same across all trim lines for the same year.

You just get idiot lights, gauges or gauges with a tac for an instrument cluster. Some trim levels came with the 4.0 while other trim levels came with the 4 cylinder with an optional 6 cylinder.

Also in 88 you could get vent windows or fixed windows - the triangle windows on the frontseat doors. Also Air conditioning was an option when my XJ was built... but then Ronald Reagan was President ... the base level of vehicle equipment has changed over that time.

There was also a 2 speaker or 4 speaker radio option. I had a AM/FM 4 speaker set up in my 88 XJ but I have the speaker grills in the lower dashboard and the wiring for the speakers. I think the 2 speaker may of been the base XJ in 88.

I have a 88 XJ pioneer which has most every option but has crank windows and manual door locks. Yes, there was a day vehicles came without power windows and power locks.

If you look up the value of a used XJ, the trim package does not change the value of the vehicle much, maybe $200. If you are looking for an XJ examine each one on a case by case. You can find fully loaded Pioneers or stripped limited.

imma honky said:
well, from what i can tell.....
laredo = power option package
country = power options + leather + rear tire carrier
.......thats what ive noticed about some of the local ones, but I may be wrong.

Nope. My '91 Laredo has no power options at all. Also I've seen country's without the external tire carrier (but not without a fullsize spare no matter where it's located).

I am the second owner of a 2WD '93 Cherokee - that's all - no SE, no Sport, no Limited, nothing - just Cherokee. It has the HO 4.0L, AW4, open D-35 rear, and a solid pipe front axle. When I tried to replace the brake pads on the front I found out I had to order pads for a 4WD. All of the front end parts are 4WD option parts mounted on a solid pipe. Apparently, the only parts I'm missing are a pumpkin, front DS, and Xfer case.

Inside I've got A/C, carpet, fabric textured plastic seats, AM/FM Cassette with four speakers, rear window defrost but no rear window wiper, no cruise, no power windows or door locks and only dummy lights w/ no tach.

I can't figure what the original owner was thinking. Why rear defrost but no wiper? Why carpet and stereo but no cruise? Personally, power windows and locks I can live without but why 2WD? And if it is 2WD why do I have to order parts for 4WD?

My best to anyone who can see a pattern in the options packages for the Cherokee.

XJ Dreamin'
stock '93 XJ, 2WD, 4.0L HO, AW4, D-35 open, 235 75/R15 A/T

I have a 98 Classic which apparently sits between the Sport and the Limited. This model must not have been offered for very long because, while I see lots of Sports, Classics are pretty rare.

Sean

You guys are a little off on your definition of the Country's. I have a '95 Country with no outside tire carrier and no fullsize spare. I had to add that. Its the Upcountry package that gives you the fullsize spare, limited slip, etc. The Country package is just a trim package similar to the older Laredos as far as the paint scheme, etc. It also gives you power everything and a wood grained dash. Leather was an option on the Country's, mine has cloth and vinyl seats. It was the highest end model the year mine came out.

Last edited:
seand said:
I have a 98 Classic which apparently sits between the Sport and the Limited. This model must not have been offered for very long because, while I see lots of Sports, Classics are pretty rare.

In the late years (99/00/01 at least) 95% of the Sports that you run into
had a big option package on them... that included AC, power windows/locks/
mirrors/keyless entry... privacy glass, AM/FM/cass, power/heated mirrors, and maybe a couple other things. This was a "$2500 value" for FREE. That's why most of 'em have it. The dealers ordered it on every Sport.

Because of this "standard package", the price diff between a Sport and a Classic was quite big. The classic ends up as mainly a trim group (painted bumper caps, different wheels, maybe nicer cloth seats, and a few more available options (the overhead console, for instance, was NOT available in a Sport... optional in a Classic... and standard in a Limited).

Den

My 87 is a laredo with tow package...Cloth seats, tilt, power everything, a/c, cruise, vent windows, large truck mirrors, factory trans cooler, hitch, wiring, rear sway bar and not to mention the D44! :D

I've got a '96 Classic and am almost posative '96 was the first year (and only classic in the square body style) I've seen Classics w/o UpCountry Suspension. For the most part it was just the mag wheels, monochrome paint, 4.0. and of course the infamous "Cherokee Classic" vinyl lettering on the doors! I doubt they are any more collectable. BS marketing ploy.

Pretty much. My 95 Cherokee SE has Cruise, rear wiper, A/C, 4.0l, Sound bar, Full size spare, privacy glass, and manaul windows/locks. (I think the sound bar might have been installed aftermarket though, becase the rear hatch has the speaker grill in it.)

88bluecrunched said:
So basically from what i am reading anything after cherokee doesn't mean anything at all just something to make the jeep sound better to the public.

I don't think that's a fair assessment ...

The different monikers distinguish between models that have standard upgrades... bodyside molding, wheels, etc. Usually you will find differences in the dates of manufacture with possible mid-year changes---so it's possible to have a specific year and model that could be different than another.

Factory and dealer options make a big difference and can't be necessarily correlated or affixed to a specific model year, as there are options that can be ordered or added at will.... some options become standard as you upgrade in models.

Since you can't buy a new XJ this thread is pretty much a mute subject. If you're looking for a specific year and model ... with certain options ... you pretty much have to take what you can get... and with what's been done to it since it rolled off the showroom floor.

Good luck in your endeavor.

I have a 96 Sport with PW, PL, cruise, AC, tach, oil pressure, voltage, 4x4, 8.25 rear (no abs), don't know if it came cassette or CD cuz it has an old Alpine CD player. It came with keyless entry but the previous owner lost that and the key. So it has a copy of the key. It has a full size spare in the cargo area. I think the Sport is most popular purely because people don't want to order the base and they think they can get a better deal by avoiding the top and just adding options onto it. And the Classic isn't named the Classic in an attempt to make us think its a collectible...its just a name they decided to put on it. Like the Caprice Classic has been through three different body styles...yet has been a "classic" the whole time.

My wife and I have had three Jeep Cherokees over the past 11 years. The basic model was realy stripped down, and the packages were a way to order generaly what the customer wanted. Here are ours:

1993 Sport- 4.0, 2wd (purchased new). At that time the sport moved you out of the idiot gauges and added a roof rack as well. Small spare, "Sport" steel wheels.

1996 Sport 4.0, 2wd (purchased new). We still have this one. We wanted the 4.0 and full gauges. Also power locks, but thst came with the full power package and we don't like power windows. I have the window sticker here and it reads:

Optional Equipment Sport package #25E. ($1,495) AC, Tilt steering, Center floor console, rear wiper/washer, roof rack, Leather wrapped steering wheel, front and rear floor mats, front license plate bracket, AM/FM cassette radio, No charge AC.

1987 Laredo- 4.0 4wd. I picked this one up last year. It has full gauges, tilt steering, cruise control, cloth/vinyl seats multi adjustable, rear wiper w defroster, block heater, no AC, aluminum rims, roof rack, rear tire carrier & full sized spare, center console, overhead driver/passenger map lights, rear deck cover, front window vents, and side glass vents (2door model).

This one also has "Chrome" grille, bumpers, and trim. It may just be that all 87's had the chrome and later ones used black.

-Copperhead

copperhead said:
This one also has "Chrome" grille, bumpers, and trim. It may just be that all 87's had the chrome and later ones used black.

-Copperhead

Thats another thing I forgot to mention. My '95 Country has the Chrome package on it which is really rare. I've only seen a few '95s and '96s with it. Most have a painted grill and bumper and black door handles. The chrome package gives you a chrome grill, bumpers, door handles, and locks. All the rest of the trim is still black.

Back