• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Probelm with 95...

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I jsut bought a 95 with a 2inch lift (pic) and 31 a/t's. When ever I make a sharp turn, say turning onto a street or jsut a sharp bend, I can hear/ feel the front axel or something shifting up front. Kind of a klunky/poppy sound. Could it be the track bar? Havn't really looked under there to see if anything obvious is loose or anything.

Ok everyone, take it easy on the newbie..... :twak:

I PM'd him about this kind of question..... Try to keep it constructive!

Ujoints, ball joints, tie rods, control arms...
Take your pick.
Jack up the front of the rig and put it on stands.
Grab each tire and check for play.
Lift it up and down, side to side, and check for rotational play at the ujoint, if you cant SEE something wrong.
If all is well, put the front down and have someone turn the wheel 20 degrees in each direction over and over while you watch and feel every part of the steering system.
Get used to it, its a Heep.
Good luck, and post what you come up with and we can help further.

I'm very interested in what this noise turns out to be also, I have the exact same symptomns. I have checked everything out and retorqued every bolt under there and yet the noise is still there. I tried taking it to a shop and they said I needed to replace the trackbar. When asked why they couldn't give me any thing better other than "usually they are the problem when jeeps do this." After the last few wheeling trips I'm beginning to think it's in the TRE's somewhere.

Sorry guy's, I mean, I did check it, but it was just a cursory check. Wondering if this was a common sign of something. Really dumb question but, my Jeep has 5 lug nuts on both wheels on the rightside, but only 4 on the left side on each wheel. Any reason why people do this? I always see cars like that at used car lots...

typically that would be because of loss, theft or stupidity. Go to the parts store and get a couple new lug nuts to cover the missing ones. If the stud is broken/missing though that is more evidence that this thing was 'rode hard'

On a weird side note...My 97 key can crank and unlock/lock all the doors on the 95. :wow:

EDIT: and tu up date the steering problem, every looks snug. I'll be takeing it to the shop sometime soon anyway to get an alignment. But, if I have the A/C on and I turn the wheel, and can hear the power steering straining and sometime I hear the belt slip. Bad A/C clutch?

Last edited:
1. With the 2" lift.... are you still using the stock factory track bar?
IF so... you might have bumpsteer caused by the tracbar not being long enough for to center the differential under the body causing shifting under sharp turns such as you described. I had the same problem many, many years ago.... My solution was to purchase a adjustable tracbar to center the differential under the body....

2. A/C and power steering problem..... If you are going to take the Jeep into the shop.... Have the A/C compressor and system checked.... Also check the condition and tightness of the serpentine belt.... Might be time to adjust or replace it....
Any squealing noises when the A/C is on with the power steering being turned ? Might want to look at the idler pulley bearing !!!

Hope this helps.....

Charles

St3mpy said:
Ok, so I jsut bought a 95 with a 2inch lift (pic) and 31 a/t's. When ever I make a sharp turn, say turning onto a street or jsut a sharp bend, I can hear/ feel the front axel or something shifting up front. Kind of a klunky/poppy sound. Could it be the track bar? Havn't really looked under there to see if anything obvious is loose or anything.

Have a friend turn the wheel while you look underneath. (especially at the track bar mount). Sounds to me like your trackbar is loose, but it could be a myriad of things.

Kevin

Back