• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting TJ flares

BskisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Cut fenders today. Gonna mount the TJ flares tomorrow. Want an easy way to mount them so I can get them on & off while on the trail.

Mounting the front no problem - gonna just use tie wraps. Back flares another thing, can't get behind them. Though of just using self tapping screws.

Any suggestions. Want to make it an easy on off thing.

use sheet metal screws, however oem style flares come with little plastic nut type things to keep the screws from coming out so you may want to figure out something to do about that

use snaps like on boat covers that way when you want to go off road you just pop them off and when you want to hit the road jsut pop um on

I used 1/4 -20 bolts and nuts with fender washers along the upper end of the flares. I was going to go the "easy to rip off" way of mounting them, but I like to do things the more permanent way. I've smeared the flares against trees and rocks and they pop back half way decent. the lower ends were left unbolted to let them float, and give way when being squashed. I have my fair share of dented and crushed bodywork, but none of it is from the TJ flares causing it....so far.

use zuse(sp?) fasteners like race cars use on removable pannels. there not to hard to install and a 1/4 turn and there off.

WIll

Right now I went with zip ties in the front. It works very well. A friend has done it for two years with out a problem.

For the rear I just used 10x1 Hex head self drilling screws w/washers. I still drilled a small piolet hole for each screw because there wasn't much room between the flare to get the screws started.

One thing I really didn't take notice to until we had the first flare on, was that the body of my 91 XJ has a curve to it from top to bottom (DON'T KNOW IF OTHER YEARS DO). So the flare doesn't sit perfectly flush. Just have to use a extra screw here and there. All in all very happy with the outcome.

Thanks, for all the info.

Back