• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lexan/Speedglass windows

bbaker80

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to install some windows that aren't going to make quite as big a mess when I hit something with them. Any thoughts on Lexan, Plexiglass, or Speedglass? Which one is more impact resistant? Which one is going to scratch less? Can I tint any of them?

A local jeeper brought up a great point on this. If you are going to use your XJ as a daily driver you should stick to regular glass. In the event of a rollover/crash, emergency crews are unable to break/shatter something like lexan to get inside the vehicle and get you out.

Just something to think about.

I've replaced both back side glass with Plexiglass (2dr). Both are scratched pretty bad from brush, etc. Depends on how particular you are about how scratch free they are ... me, I'm not. Cost me $23 to have both sides cut using 3/16" thick plexiglass. I'll replace if I get tired of the scratches.Not sure if Plexiglass can be tinted or not. May just have to get a piece of scrap and try it and see.

I'm sure Lexan is stronger and a little more scratch resistent, but I also know it's much more expensive. IMO, it's not worth the difference in cost. Don't know about Speedglass .... HTH

Les

I don't plan to drive my Heep on pavement at all. I don't carry insurance on it anymore, it's strictly for trail use, and draging things around our property when the tractor isn't big enough to get the job done. I don't want it to look like crap all the time, but I can deal with scratches if it means I have something stronger. What I'd like to avoid is having to worry about where the windows are on the trail when I should be worrying about keeping it rubber side down.

Tint isn't that big a deal, but I have the factory tinted windows now, and it's shocking how much cooler it is sitting in a vehicle with tinted glass than one without it.

Generally Plexiglass is not a good idea for windows. Most Plexiglass is not UV rated and the sun will destroy it, ie really weak. Lexan has the same problem if it's not UV protected. As far as strength Plexiglass is nowhere even close to Lexan.

link for speedglass:
http://www.polyshields.com/

anything is going to scratch compared to the glass.. Check a local plastic dealer, they can give you the low down, and they may have colored stuff that will come close to the factory tint. I would look for the cheap, so when it scrathes, it can just be replaced...
I like what C-Rock did on his before it became a convertible. I dig the sheet metal screw approach.

Go to a marine supply store and get them to cut you out some clear plastic panels they would normally use for boat windows. They can be hemmed and mounted to the sides of the jeep like a soft-top on a wrangler, (velcro might work too) and they would pass for inspection (Here in VT) because they won't shatter and you could remove them for nice days.

You can by Smoked lexan (tinted) in various shades, it can also be purchased with UV protection in the panel. Check your local suppliers, Alro Plastics (here in Michigan) is where I have bought it before, but the stuff is expensive, about 145 for a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" Smoked.

a friend of myne bought 3 normal windsheild for his wrangler and was so fed up, he bought a bulletproof window :skull2: and hasnt had any problems since...

besides ud be able to add "bulletproof windows" to your signature!

Where is that link that was around a few months ago that had those super windows for the XJ, the front was like $200 or so.

I really like the boat vinyl snap-on windows idea. How water tight can they get these things, though?
Then again, I live in the UT mountains. Might be better off keeping the glass & body intact for winter...
Maybe when I'm a geezer living somewhere warm.

I made a polycarbonate rear window for the softtop on my Miata. The stuff is heavier than you'd think, but not as heavy as glass. I had a glass shop cut out the shape for $90. I'd expect about the same for the windows on an XJ.

Some brands are UV protected. Ask before you buy. Lexan brand I think has UV protection on one side, but Makrolon made by Bayer has the UV stabilization built into the plastic.

Back