• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seperating 1st and second gear

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
I saw on Go-Jeeps page on how he seperated 1st and second gear using a toggle switch. The instructions work for up to a '96 XJ . How about 97+ XJ's with the OBD II systems? Anyone done or tried this? Im sure most would agree that in some situations you'd rather now slow down a little bit and have it kick into first and have to re-shift. Thanks for any info!

compushift plus- 170$
little switch and some wire- 5$

Thanks for the info but my budget is stretched thin enough as it is. Nice to know some one does have a "manufactured" fix for it though. I recon I'll just wait around untill someone figures it out.

I have sat for hours looking at the FSM for a 97 and can not figure out how to "fix" the newer models. It seems the solenoids are plumbed and wired completely different than the earlier models.

Steve

Seems like in the FSM you pull the fuse to the TCM and it will lock the tranny in 1st gear. Why couldn't you install a switch in line of this wire and use that to keep your tranny in 1st?Dan

right-o keeping it in first is a piece of cake- 2nd is what we need. I'd mess around with mine but I'm still not to sharp on the xj's electronics- im guessing new computers aren't cheap

i believe Cruzzin_XJ has done it... maybe he'll chime in.

last i heard, it worked fine for him, though it does trip the engine light.

Does not damage the TCU as stated but only trips the engine light like mentioned above when done on 97+

...so what's the proper way to wire it up without tripping the engine light?
Also, the link to the "Compu-shift" device doesn't specify what years it can be used on. I'm guessing it's pre97 only.
I'd really like to get this thing installed in my Jeep. I needed the use of it on the trail last weekend.

Well what I do is I push in the clutch and put it in first gear and then use the hand throttle...

Sorry I had to be a smart a$$

But for real...
I know it can be done on the aw-4 but if you mess it up FUBAR is right Can't remember where the write up is...

Yeah I understand...

but how can you mess up your computer if the computer is turned off?

Splice the wire that gives it power, run a diode, and with the computer off.. give the 2nd solenoid power.

If I had a newer XJ I'd try it.

Back