• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loud Vibe Noise!?

jlaw3000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Leredo with a 2.5 ome lift on it and 150,00 miles, recently it started making a realy loud vibration noise. It does it between 1-2thousand rpms and only does it once the engine warms up. i dont hink its transmition, dravshaft, or t-case because it makes the noise even when i rev it in neutral... Anybody know what it might be? or had a similar problem?

Last edited:
I would have someone start the car while you look under it... maybe you will see something happening that shouldnt be.. If its the exhaust you will see the exhaust move a lot. If its something a lot worse you may be able to pin point the location....Check all your fluids just to be sure. Also is the grinding sound happening while your in park?

If you can hear it while the car is in park then you kno its nothing to do with the differentials..... If it only happens in drive then you need to check the t-case and the differentials. I would be sure that all the fluids are full and then start looking for other things

it does it in park also... i can feel it in the pedal a bit but mainly just hear it at around 1500 rpms and it only does it once the engine hits 200 degrees

I am having an almost identical prob on identical Jeep.

90 Laredo 4.OL 198,000 miles.
I was told a while back that my exhaust manifold is warped and that the gasket was leaking, so I just changed it this weekend. But I still have this loud, rumbling noise near the front of the Jeep. It kind of sounds like a dieesel or something.

This happens when I rev the engine, either in park or while driving. Seems like the exaust manifold repair made a difference in other arewas, but not this noise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Back