• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker 8" coils question

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
How much lift are you guys getting out of SJ 8" XJ coils? I'm wondering how much I'm likely to get with a winch and winch bumper.

Did anyone get them after having RE 4.5" ZJ coils? Impressions?

Trying to decide if I should just get the Deavers or try the SJ.

BTT

anybody? :)

I had 4.5 re zj coils with 1-3/4" spacers and thought they were nice and soft, but rather flexy on the street for me without my swaybars. I like my 8" skyjacker coils with my 35's better. You can see the amount of lift they gave me from the few pics I'm in from the Fordyce run. I like that they are stiffer, but still flex nice. The skyjackers took a little time to get used to, but now I confidently ride them to and from a trail at about 75-80 mph on the highway. I've had my coils on for about 6 months, but I think they will give me a good 7" when they are worn in. I was surprised to see that the 4.5" re zj coils and the 8" xj skyjackers coils are very close to the same length uncompressed. That definately told me that the Skyjackers would ride rougher, also the SJ coils are thicker and wider than the re's.

On a side note: I liked the looks of your rear springs Richard. Did you increase your wb also with setting the rear shackle so far back? It looks like your springs flex great with the spring liners, etc to reduce friction between the leafs. Nice. :yelclap:
Troy

Last edited:
If you decide to run 8" SJ I have a set I will sell for $75 plus shipping. Need lower springs thats way the are for sale.

Last edited:
XJ667 said:
If you decide to run 8" SJ I have a set I will sell for $75 shipped. Need lower springs thats way the are for sale.

If Richard doesn't want them, I'll take em. Let me know.

After running multiple spring set ups on the front(RE 4.5 zj, rustys 6", etc..) I went witht he skyjacker 8" about two years ago, I'm happy and have yet to see a replacement that would do much better for my purposes. They gave me about 7" with a warn 9000i out front. I run them with a 1 1/2" spacer, trimmed fenders and don't have a problem with clearing 38.5 sxs with no bumpstops. I can run 75mph on the freeway with no swaybar( I do run 1/4 elip. and a rock equipment swaybar in the rear). I liked that they were a little stiffer than RE springs and I would be biased the other way if I were at all(I'm an RE dealer).They flex great and the posers love them cause they have that pretty red paint(they look great after a little coil spring wax :roflmao: )I think you wouldn't have a complaint with them IMHO...

XJ667 said:
Sorry Big red I wanted $75 plus shipping. I just realized I typed it in wrong. Sorry about that.

That's o.k. too, still a good price. I'm looking to get them for my bro who has the 4.5" re zj coils and a factory rubber spacer on 35" bias claws. He has a 4.5-5.5 re kit with no control arm drop and non-adj ca's but we can work this stuff out later, I want him to get these coils. I have them and they're great (Tony the Tiger). :laugh3:

Do you take paypal or should I have him send you a check? Let me know. Shipping to Northern Cali 95610.
Troy

Goatman said:
How much lift are you guys getting out of SJ 8" XJ coils? I'm wondering how much I'm likely to get with a winch and winch bumper.

Did anyone get them after having RE 4.5" ZJ coils? Impressions?

Trying to decide if I should just get the Deavers or try the SJ.

I had the ZJ coils on mine before I put the SKyJacker 8" coils in it is about a 2" difference, I had a 2" spacer before the skyJackers and I took them out and had the same lift, they felt about the same as far as stifness and ride were concerned

the sj's flex great with the re lowering brackets and control arms. I def. feel they are a little shy of 8 inches but contrary to belief, they flex great. I got about 2 inches more of the 4.5 zj coils.

Beezil said:
I have SJ 8" coils with a winch and 80-lb bumper.....

come awn goat, like I measured.....

Some people are into that stuff.

others just roll over every chance they get.......

Thanks for the replys. I've raised my lower coil perches 2", and want no more than 7"-7.5" of lift, so the Skyjackers may be too much. I'd try a used set and trim them to what I want.....wouldn't mind them being a little stiffer, and a used set has already settled. Let me know if Big Red doesn't take them.

It's between the SJ's, the Currie/Deaver 4.5" Jeepspeed coils, or a set of custom Deavers. The Jeepspeed coils might be just the ticket, but I wish they had a touch more lift. For $100, it's probably worth trying the SJ's first.

Big Red, to answer your question about my rear springs, they have an MJ main leaf and are 2" longer in the back, hence the position of the boomerang shackle.

Goatman said:
Some people are into that stuff.

others just roll over every chance they get.......

not wearing seatblets is dangerous and irresponsible, you scoff at personal safety because you think you are indestructable. I vote "ban".

:D

Goatman said:
Thanks for the replys. I've raised my lower coil perches 2", and want no more than 7"-7.5" of lift, so the Skyjackers may be too much. I'd try a used set and trim them to what I want.....wouldn't mind them being a little stiffer, and a used set has already settled. Let me know if Big Red doesn't take them.

It's between the SJ's, the Currie/Deaver 4.5" Jeepspeed coils, or a set of custom Deavers. The Jeepspeed coils might be just the ticket, but I wish they had a touch more lift. For $100, it's probably worth trying the SJ's first.

Big Red, to answer your question about my rear springs, they have an MJ main leaf and are 2" longer in the back, hence the position of the boomerang shackle.

You got 1st on them Richard, thanks for the invite. I haven't asked my bro yet, but I know I can talk him into getting them. :laugh3: I love the SJ coils. I think you will be happy with them, but with your 2" raises lower mounts, they will be very tall unless you cut them.

Back