• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ok searched, now for a straight answer..

Redcbr007

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my Power steering box ripped out of my frame (not the fender side, but the motor side) snapping my grade 8 bolts & all the mounting locations on the box itself while wheeling ...whoops. Anyways, I decided to do a search and came up with j20 swaps. Here is my delima, some people say late 70's (ex:79) and some people say early 80's (ex:81). Supposidly the hose connections on the 81 are a direct swap for the stock xj. Which one is it? I know it needs to have 3 1/2" outside cap. Has anyone accually done this? Im going to go to autozone and ordering one, so anyone happen to have a part number also?

Sorry for all the questions, but cant find out any solid info,

Thanks

Patrick

A J-20 box after '80 should bolt right in and have the right fittings. Make SURE if you get one from Autozone that it's a different part# than a J-10. MANY parts stores will sell you a J-10 box which would be no upgrade at all. You can also get one from a '99 Durango. It's the same 3 1/2" bore as the J-20, has the same fittings, and gives you a little more "road feel". I had a J-20 box, and thought it gave TOO much assist.

perfect, thank you

Its a trailor queen and I want as much assist as I can get 35x14.5 bogger (when air's down feel like 34x18's hehe)

-Red

Basically, there is an 800 Saginaw box, which is what we have stock, and an 808 Saginaw box. The 808 is the bigger one, and they both come on a wide variety of vehicles. I got an AGR Super Box, which was an 808, but I didn't like it too much. I had Lee Enterprises rebuild an 800 box, and I really like it, and I also have an AGR pump. Lee charges $45 to add the fittings for hydro assist if you ever want to go to that, which I had them do. I haven't done the hydro assist yet, since it steers pretty well the way it is, even with 37's. The main reason I want hydro assist is to help take the shock load off the box, like a huge steering stabilizer, since I have also ripped the steering box off the frame, breaking a bolt and one of the tabs on the box, like you have. It pissed me off, since that box was a Tommy Lee box.

Whatever you do, be sure to beef up the frame......all the way around if you do it yourself, or use C-Rok plates or an SBS from JKS.

Back