• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing D30 R&P

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 44 to install in my XJ, one problem its 3.55 and the original is 3.07. I picked up a replacement D30 in 3.55 to match the rear. I spent alot of time on my current D30 (bearings, ball-joints etc), so I would rather not swap the entire axle. If i was to swap the ring and pinion and use the original carrier, what are the chances it will set up with minimal adjustment?? Should I just swap one pinion bearing to another, or use it as I pull it? Trying to do this with the MINIMUM amount of hassle.

Chances are somewhere between slim and none. Somebody said slim left town.

Ok, what should I expect when I do the swap?? What should I have on hand for parts. I would appreciate only productive comments please, no comments about slim and his friends from CO.

Last edited:
im just now getting into doing gears and stuff .

you need shims time tools and a way to post pics

Buying the tools to do the R&P swap will cost as much as having it done at a shop.

With that said, the easiest and cheapest way for you to do this would probably be buying a new set of ball joints for the 3:55 D30 and swapping over all your components from the 3:07 D30.

John B said:
Buying the tools to do the R&P swap will cost as much as having it done at a shop.

ya but then you still dont know shit and you paid for tools that you can never use again. do it yourself, it really isnt that hard. youll need a soft mallet, torque wrench, dial indicator, a few sockets, a breaker bar, and a pry bar to pry the carrier out. i might be forgetting something but a lot of these tools you should already have

I've pulled apart diffs before, but never made any changes that affected the settings. It doesnt really intimidate me, I just want it right. If I am replacing just the ring and pinion, with similar ones to boot, the only changes should be to pinion depth correct? I am using the same carrier, so the bearing will not be messed with. Maybe I am not seeing something here. Some folks make it out to sound like enriching uranium others like changing light bulbs, well??

Back