• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else can I use this for?

JohnJohn

Member #42
When I swapped my rear D44 I went with new calipers without e-brakes, since this XJ is an auto. So now I have an e-brake handle sticking though my center console. I would prefer not to remove it, anyone have any bright ideas what I can use it for now? It's a 98 so the cable ends on the driver side frame rail, not under the console.

Thanks for your ideas,

JohnJohn said:
When I swapped my rear D44 I went with new calipers without e-brakes, since this XJ is an auto. So now I have an e-brake handle sticking though my center console. I would prefer not to remove it, anyone have any bright ideas what I can use it for now? It's a 98 so the cable ends on the driver side frame rail, not under the console.

Thanks for your ideas,
Ejection seat trigger.

Oh... and what are you going to do for parking brake? What are you going to do on an incline? I think you might want to look into microlocks (or similiar product). IIRC this would fail the safety check for NAXJA events (last year in Moab one of the requirements was: working parking brake).

you're putting alot of faith in that parking pin don't you think?? my guess is $$ made the decision for you.. $$$ talks but its not always a reasonable solution.. not sure if Co has saftey inspections but most states do.. unless the mall parking lot is level you really "should" use the lever for is intended purpose..

sidriptide said:
you're putting alot of faith in that parking pin don't you think?? my guess is $$ made the decision for you.. $$$ talks but its not always a reasonable solution.. not sure if Co has saftey inspections but most states do.. unless the mall parking lot is level you really "should" use the lever for is intended purpose..

Have you ever taken a transmission apart. The pin and gear that hold it in park arent small I have never seen one break or even hardley wear at all. Now I havent rebuilt a ton of transmission but I have never seen one that I thought I could break easily. By the way I dont have a parking brake on my new axle either and I dont plan on putting one on either.

Kejtar said:
Oh... and what are you going to do for parking brake? What are you going to do on an incline? I think you might want to look into microlocks (or similiar product). IIRC this would fail the safety check for NAXJA events (last year in Moab one of the requirements was: working parking brake).
I don't have one either, but when I did I never used it. When I swapped axles, the cables didn't match up so I just tied them off. Like azxjman, I've never heard of one breaking either.

Can you provide a link to ANY requirements thread from any event that says anything about an operational parking brake? I searched the event req. threads from all that I could find and I have to call SPOBI on you.

If it's a requirement, then who's gonna check that I'm using it on the trail?

azxjman said:
but I have never seen one that I thought I could break easily.QUOTE]

Yea, it could only happen to the other guy. Not to burst anyones bubble, :shhh: but I am the other guy. So is everyone else.:eek:

Kejtar said:
Ejection seat trigger.
I second this. I would be like that old James Bond movie :D
My CJ5 doesn't have a parking brake and my XJs is worthless, so I don't think it is required. Just be sure and curb your tires on hills, even though thats the law, if you care.

[lecture]I've lost brake systems enough that I never run without a parking brake...[/lecture]

Now... It'll be a bitch..but rig the calbe up to the hatch, put helper springs to open it, and have a remote hatch lever. Serves absolutely no purpose, but we could make fun of you for having it :)

Bent said:
azxjman said:
but I have never seen one that I thought I could break easily.QUOTE]

Yea, it could only happen to the other guy. Not to burst anyones bubble, :shhh: but I am the other guy. So is everyone else.:eek:

So are you saying you have broken one?
The only time I have ever really needed to use one was when I broke my output shaft.

azxjman kinda hit on one of my concerns too. What if you're 'wheelin and trash your t-case. Got no way to hold the rig in place.

Anyway, I'd look up a local race shop. I've seen some cool custom hydraulic e-brake systems made from race parts. I saw where a guy fabbed up brackets to hold smaller calipers on the oposite sides of the primary calipers and connected those to a small master cylinder that he connected to the e-brake lever under the floor board tunnel. Still ratchets up, putting pressure on the master cyl, and then down to the little calipers. Pretty slick.

Use it for the hammer to hit you in the head so you'll remember you should of had a e-brake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone wheeling without a way to hold the jeep in place with the brakes is a dumbass!

For all you with out a mechanical e-brake, spend the money and atleast get a line lock for the brakes. :rolleyes:

BTW who cares about breaking the parking prong in the tranny, how about the time the tranny does't go all the way into park! DHO!

hinkley

WOW I'm a dumbass. Is that really news to anyone?

I have never had a lifted Jeep that the e-brake really works well enough to hold 35s in place anyway. Not sure if it was the length of the YJ cables, or that the calipers needed too much lag and the e-brake adjustment screw didn't adjust enough. I do remember screwing with it for hours on the old 5spd '88, and it still didn't work properly. Or it could be that the rear disks are not strong enough to hold the whole rig in place with just the e-brake on. A stray rock has always worked better than the actual e-brake.

Breaking the "parking pin" is not a concern to me. I try not to throw it in park going 45+, and that's the only time I have heard of them breaking.

If I blow my t-case hopefully my driveshaft will jam against some stray rock to help me stop. <serious concern though>

Another concern I have is the NAXJA inspections. I'm seriously going to fail inspection without an e-brake? Maybe I can rig up something that drops a stray rock in front of my tire using the useless e-brake mechanism. :D

Seriously though, how many of you WITH AUTOMATICS actually use your parking brake? Maybe I'll keep these old Eldorado Calipers in the garage after I learn a lesson on the trail, but I don't think I'll need them. :D

I've never had any vehicle that has had what I would consider an adequate emergency brake. Most of them may have held for a while, but over (a short) time lost a lot of their holding strength. If the performance of the e-brake is such a concern, why then are most of them so proorly designed (IMHO).

I use my e-brake only to take some of the pressure off the transmission when I park on an incline ... sometimes it's a bitch to get the tranny out of Park when it's time to go. I'd never depend on any stock e-brake design to hold the vehicle in place. I'll chock the tires if this is necessary.

Les

JohnJohn said:
WOW I'm a dumbass. Is that really news to anyone?

Seriously though, how many of you WITH AUTOMATICS actually use your parking brake? :D

This Dumbass does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe I'm just SPECIAL!

:D

hinkley

"Another concern I have is the inspections. I'm seriously going to fail inspection without an e-brake? Maybe I can rig up something that drops a stray rock in front of my tire using the useless e-brake mechanism."

Never had my e-brake checked... it isn't hooked up either (MJ44 on an XJ) too cheep to buy YJ cables or rig the linkage extension

LOL my old 45 CJ had no brakes (no starter either :) ) I rigged a chock block with a 10 foot leash, and would chuck it out & let the junk roll into it. When I wanted to go again, I'd just reel it in. :dunno:

Mark Hinkley said:
This Dumbass does !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But maybe I'm just SPECIAL!

:D

hinkley

I'm not "special" ... but I do use mine occasionally ... mostly just as added security when on an incline. I'm just personally not impressed with the design enough to depend on it ...

Mark ... do you have a modified e-brake system or is yours stock? If stock, how much time do you spend adjusting it to make sure it really is working well?

Les

PS: Man ... you set yourself up with your choice of words.

I just got me new ebrake cables for $24 , 2 cables at $12 each. This is something that I consider to cheap t skimp on, because if you are wrong, it may be too late to regrett it. If your ebrake won't hold your Heepyou need to do a brake inspection, the cables could be stretched or slipping or your brakes could be fubar. Don't skimp on safety......JMHO

Fergie said:
Use it to deploy your anit-tipover system!

Fergie

I was thinking you could use it for the oil spill, make the guy behind you spin out, trick.

BUT then again What do I KNOW?? :cool:

Wheres Racer X when you need him... The Dave Matthews band uses it for a Sewage Delpoyment System..

Back