• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's better d35 or chrysler 8.25?

ve6nn

NAXJA Forum User
What is the better rear axle. A Dana 35 or a Chrysler 8.25. Have a 96 with 8.25 and am thinking of changing axles from a 97 which are susposed to be thicker. Any comments?

St3mpy said:
Chrysler 8.25. The 97+ 8.25 is better becasue it's a 29 spline, while the 96 is a 27 slpine. The d35 is the worst of all of them.
Actually the 96 MIGHT be 29 spline. They switched mid year. The best way to confirm is to get one of the axle shafts out and count the splines.

Thanks for the info. Will check and see if the spline count is 29. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Don

Even the 27-spline 8.25" is a better choice than the D35 though.

ive put my open 27 spline through some hell, holds up nice on 35's

small pederson said:
ive put my open 27 spline through some hell, holds up nice on 35's

Come to the desert and try our hell.

They'll be like tooth pics with 35's.

Besides, if you're not locked you don't know what hell is yet.

:D

Goatman said:
Come to the desert and try our hell.

They'll be like tooth pics with 35's.

Besides, if you're not locked you don't know what hell is yet.

:D

ya moss and slime doesnt make things too sticky around here :dunno:

when i get my 44/60 locked combo in pretty soon here ill drive down and you can show me :cheers:

small pederson said:
ya moss and slime doesnt make things too sticky around here :dunno:

when i get my 44/60 locked combo in pretty soon here ill drive down and you can show me :cheers:

Come awn down......we'll show you a good time. :)

What breaks most axles is getting them in a bind, where it's real hard for the tire to turn. Like climbing a tall ledge, or squeezing between rocks, what we call a wedgie, or bouncing on a steep climb where there's a good surface, or getting up against something that's undercut. This happens all the time on rock trails, which is why axle breakage is much more prevalent than it is in dirt or mud, even muddy rocks. If the tire can spin, you won't often break an axle.

One reason it's good to clarify what terrain we most often wheel in when questions get asked about equipment strength.

small pederson said:

I hope you don't get a 30 spline 60 thinking that it's "strong". :D

you dont think 30 splines are big enough? maybe i should just sell my 60 and get that 80 i saw on ebay :looney:

perhaps it has something to do with driving style or how many 35's you see on the trail

errrrrrr

Back