• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tps?

Professor Bobo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
If my TPS is bad, will it cause the transmission to upshift late? There is no problem with the idle or driveability, runs well. I have adjusted the trans linkage cable but there is no difference. It seems to run great except that it will up shift late unless I back off the gas then it shifts.

The TPS can contribute to that problem.

Does anyone know the resistance or voltage specs on the TPS so I can test it?

I had the late up shift problem. It would not shift untill at least 3k. Replaced the TPS and problem solved.

I had to replace tps on my 91 three times within the first few months of owning it. Each time the symptoms were different:
1) No upshift untill 4500, hard starting, poor idle
2) Upshift at about 2000 regardless of throttle
3) No start
Replacements came from the dealer and I only had to pay for the first one. However, the last one was different from the first two. It has better seals and has never caused any problems in 5 years but I still keep number 2 in the glove box as a spare in case I run into number 3 again. Funny thing is the crappy sensor listed for $120, the good one $40, I guess I really did pay for three!
Tony

Back