• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5l XJ (don't hate me)

Nernballs

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 2.5L XJ manual, not real mods, but i wanna know what i can and can't do with the 2.5L. I dont have the money for a new engine, turbo kit, or anything else fancy. I just wanna know if my XJ can handle a 3" lift with MAYBE 31's if i get enough money...

If you're gonna take that route, I think you should think about swapping in a set of 4.88 or even 5.12 axle gears in place of your stock 4.10's.

2.5L, 35-12.50s, 7.5" lift, 5-speed, dana 44s w/5.38s :smoker:
jeep_stinger_002.jpg

Yeah I think it will handle 3". :shhh:

Stick said:
2.5L, 35-12.50s, 7.5" lift, 5-speed, dana 44s w/5.38s :smoker:
jeep_stinger_002.jpg

Yeah I think it will handle 3". :shhh:

That works Stick. Is that a rev dana 44 up front and a standard dana 44 out back? Those gears really must wake things up with the manual tranny! I know that back that would work here in Cali in the rocks and maybe in the mud as well, but heavy mud demands more engine power usually. When I get my rev dana 44 up front to match my standard xj dana 44 in the rear I will regear from my 4.56 gears to 5.29 or 5.38 for more power even with my tired 205K 4.0L. Nice looking jeep, yeah the 2.5L isn't the most ideal, especially when you can get a 4.0L, but with proper gearing by going up to dana 44's it can be made to work. Especially in the rocks where toyotas have been doing it for years with their small 4 banger motors and dual t-cases and low axle gears.
Troy

Nernballs said:
I'm inspired. Unfortunately I'm only seventeen. How much will these new gears cost me?

HOW MUCH YOU GOT ?? go to user list and look up Raw Brown and PM him. He's the guy with the knowledge and PARTS !!

Back