• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting "Full Time" light to come on

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
I have the part time light in 4Wd HI and LO, which leads me to belive I have the crappy 4WD system out of the XJ's. Its a 97 4.0, has AW4 and I dont know what else I have drivetrain wise- anyway, what changes between part time and full time mode? When I completely re-did the dash ( and rest of interior for that matter) I checked and I do have the light installed in bezel. What do I have to install to take advantage of 4WD LO ?????- sorry if this is a retard post, I just palin dont know lol.

The light really doesn't matter to have the 4wd in working order. Mine doesn't work anymore, and my tcase still shifts into 4wd High and Low. The difference between full time and part time is that in full time, the axles can move at different speeds so they can handle the dry pavement better. In part time, the axles move at the same speed, and on the pavement, it'll wear down parts.

the term "part time" is a bit confusing to figure out.. but it made sence to someone i supose.. you have a t/case you can shift in and out of 4WD when needed.. therefore it is "part time".. full time can mean 2 things.. the first and obvious being that you cannot take it out of 4WD... the "jeep" full time is that the t/case has a differential in it to allow for the front and rear axles to turn at different speeds if needed... and hence you can run it all the time if you chose even on dry pavement.. so your dash lights should be "part time" when you engage 4WD.. and a " LO" light should come on when you go to low-range... i hope this clears it up a lil.. i confuse myself everytime i have to go thru that...

Thanks guys, so full time isn't neccesarily better than part time? SInce mine is in "part time only" whether hi or lo, exactly what changes when going from hi to lo? is it just the gearing?

I think it's just the gearing, and 4low is mainly used when going up or down an incline or decline. And if you put it in first gear on the auto tranny, your jeep will crawl on it's own, which is really nice since it gives you more steady control, and it also allows the tranny to not overheat.

dothedew24_7 said:
Thanks guys, so full time isn't neccesarily better than part time? SInce mine is in "part time only" whether hi or lo, exactly what changes when going from hi to lo? is it just the gearing?
http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?context=homepage&type=tab

This is the jeep page look at how the 4x4 systems work, it will answer all of your questions. It even gives you nice little movies that explain perfectly!
oh by the way you have the command trac transfer case. Hope this helps!

Full time, hmm thats interesting, cause I have a "part time" light that comes on randomly. Its even on when in 4low and 4high. I have no idea what it does, and don't really care. I have learned to ignore most of the lights on my dash cause most of them don't work.

Back