• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Truetrac in Kansas daily driver

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
I am begining the rebuild/modification to spare HP D30 for my 2000XJ. I have the WJ knuckles, rotors and 4.11 r-p. I am awaiting some fab parts designed by ORGS/JKS and WJ steering parts. I will use my LP D30's better shafts. The only question now is the diff. I really cant afford a selectable locker, but want something better than stock open. I am leaning toward the Truetrac givin that I see snow and ice here in Kansas. I have had several people suggest going for a lunchbox in the front same as my no-slip rear. The thinking is a limited slip will still cause directional problems in snow and ice so might as well lockup. I do not get too wheel much anymore but might as well add a traction aid since I have to buy a carrier anyway. Is there anyone out there with practicle real life experience with these issues? I have searched and monitered for this topic but knowone has mentioned real life situations.
Thanks

Send a PM to "Handlebars" and "BillR".

Handlebars has truetracs front and rear, and BillR has a torsen, same design as a truetrac. THey will be able to give you some insight.

Fergie

I have a Torsen-Gleason in the front of mine. (DD) It's very similar in design and operation to a TrueTrac, and I've had no negative issues with it. It's predictible in the snow, and thinks it's a locker at Moab! :clap:

Locked rear, 242 case, truetrac front is a simply outstanding snow combination. I'm sure it would be nice with the 231 as well.

Either way, a truetrac front is a great idea if you don't do extreme wheeling and need winter capability.

Nay

I love my Truetrac, but since you said you don't wheel much anymore, why bother with a front traction aid? I haven't driven on the road in ice, but is does pull well on snowy trails. I noticed that my steering got slightly harder with the addition of the Truetrac in 2wd on the road. I would suggest putting the $350 or so for the Truetrac towards a selectable rear locker and leave the front alone.

Another thumbs up here for the TrueTrac. I have them front and rear with 4.56s, 33s, and a Select Trac. The traction is there when I need it and invisable on the road. Well, invisable unless I give it the boot and the rear breaks lose. Mine is a DD, but I do wheel and I'm pleased with the TrueTracs performance.

--Matt

Back