• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 gage cluster swap..

muduck18

NAXJA Forum User
I read that the 97 and newer you can swap out the cheep gages for the tach and temp and oil pressure gages. what about 96 and older?
I have a 96 se with the HUGE gas gage and no tach, can i swap it out for another 96 that has the tach in it?

i just did this myself, you can swap in any pre-96 gauge cluster, that doesnt have a speedometer cable. Make sure its all electronic in the back.

scott

I am sure you know that you will need to replace the temperature and oil pressure sensing units with ones that are variable instead of one that is fixed for the idiot lights.

Charles

CharlesS said:
I am sure you know that you will need to replace the temperature and oil pressure sensing units with ones that are variable instead of one that is fixed for the idiot lights.

Charles

... a year later i make the swap to the full cluster! yay now i have a tach.
The temp and oil i assumed that i would have to change, The alt Gage is confuseing me now. before it was a duma$$ light now it's just stuck at 12 volts. no up or down. Most of the other XJ's that i have seen run slightly over 15, which is what it should be for charging.
Anyone know if there is somthing i need to change for the alternator to read the right charge? or at least how to test it to see if it is going to tell me if my charge drops off.
Thanks

I've also done the swap and it made a huge improvement. If you have a 96 than the years of XJ you should look for when buying the cluster are from 1991 to 96 (for those that haven't done it yet).

Mine goes from 14 to 10 does it mean I need a battery or volt regulator? You can use a voltmeter if you have one to see what youre charging system is doing and its more accurate than the dash gauge. I thought 12 was fine for when the chargine sytem isin't running.

Last edited:
ok so you did the swap, what about the last question i asked? what happened with the alt gage?

bajacalal said:
I accidently hit the Submit Reply button before I finished.
I hate it when that happens

cool, so you say that yours moves when it changes? I don't need it to be accurate, just so that it will move up or down when i have problems. or if i am running a winch and i can monitor the draw and stuff like that

Back