• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy way to remove fuel???

Jay Welch

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning men,

Is there a trick to getting fuel out of the XJ tank? I haven't tried yet but I don't think siphoning is an option due the baffling of the tank/filler tube etc??

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jay in MA
'89 XJ

Jay Welch said:
Good morning men,

Is there a trick to getting fuel out of the XJ tank? I haven't tried yet but I don't think siphoning is an option due the baffling of the tank/filler tube etc??

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jay in MA
'89 XJ
why are you trying to remove the fuel? When I removed the tank from my 98 it was pretty full (over half) I siphoned the fuel from the top. Anyways you can always disconnect the fuel line and turn on the pump.

Jay Welch said:
Is there a trick to getting fuel out of the XJ tank?
I've always seemed to have problems keeping gas IN my tank...no matter how full I fill it the pesky gas gauge just keeps dropping. I wonder if that has anything to do with the 172,000 miles I have on it? :D

Pump it out if the engine's dead. Kejtar's idea would work best.

You coul always just drill a hole in the bottom!!!!! :laugh3:

if the fuel pump works then you can energize the fuel pump and let it pump it out for you. you can remove the schrader valve from the fuel rail and put a piece of hose on the fitting and let it pump it into a container.

jneary said:
if the fuel pump works then you can energize the fuel pump and let it pump it out for you. you can remove the schrader valve from the fuel rail and put a piece of hose on the fitting and let it pump it into a container.

Isn't there something in the FSM about not doing this for more than 7 seconds or you risk burning the pump?

jldiaz said:
Isn't there something in the FSM about not doing this for more than 7 seconds or you risk burning the pump?
if that is the case your pump would burn up all of the time. youncan energize it at the relay just remove it and jump the two parrallel cavities together.

jneary said:
if that is the case your pump would burn up all of the time. youncan energize it at the relay just remove it and jump the two parrallel cavities together.

That's one way... easier than that, at least on my '88 XJ, you can jumper two of the pins on the small side of the diagnostic connector. I think it was pins 4 and 5... don't have my FSM here so I can't be sure. anybody else look it up? Or disconnect the orange/black wire from the starter relay and jumper it into the positive battery terminal. Lots of places to dump 12v into the fuel pump, as I found out last month... gotta love old wiring.

Back