• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front d-shaft play

bshaw

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching around on here, but I could not find the same problem/question that I want to resolve. Here the other day I replaced my front u-joint on my front drive shaft. Before I took it off I noticed that there was some play in the d-shaft itself. Not a side to side or up and down motion, but more of a rotational play. What I mean by this, is that I could start to turn/spin the d-shaft. It's not a huge movement, but it does start to turn just a little bit. Even after I got the u-joint installed, it still had the same movement in it. Is this a normal? I know on the rear d-shaft, there is absolutley no play what so ever. I've never really played around much with the front d-shaft until now. So what do you all think?

One more thing that I've noticed too. Not to long ago I put in some coil spring spacers (.75") in, and this is when I relized the u-joint needed to be replaced after the ends came off and the pins came out. Since then I have been getting some front end vibes. The day I replaced the U-joint, I drove to the auto parts store without my front d-shaft on. I noticed that vibes went away, and I was assuming that it was just the u-joint causing the vibes. But I got the new u-joint installed, and I'm still getting the front end vibes. Any suggestions on why this would be happening? I got some idea's, but I don't want to start spending $$$ on a bunch of parts that isn't going to fix the problem. Any advice would be greatly appericated!

So, are you saying that there is slop in the slip joint in the middle of the driveshaft? If that is true, it would allow the shaft to wobble and would cause your vibes.

no, i don't think it's the slip-joint. i was getting play right at the axle and the TC. the whole d-shaft turned at the same time, u know what i mean? i'll double check just to make sure, but i'm pretty sure that it was not the slip-joint.

There should be no up-down play in the shaft.Some rotational play is normal as the TC chain and R&P have some clearance.
The rear did not rotate because A-is,t in park. B- the E-brake is pulled.
Wayne

Back