• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lubricating leaf springs?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to replace the original leaf springs on my '88 XJ w/ 210K on the clicker w/ some leafs from a stock '98 w/ around 40K. I will also be adding a Rusty's 2" full length AAL at the same time. I have the leaf packs completely disassembled and am in the process of grinding off all the surface rust, priming and painting them w/ Rustoleum (painting the AALs also). Before I reassemble the packs I would like to make sure they are adequately lubricated. What is the best method for doing this?

Anyone ever used this stuff?

http://www.slipplate.com

I have plenty of the Mercury Marine 2-4-C w/ telfon lubricant left over from my new outboard motor. Can I just use that? My fear is that the grease will hold any dirt and grime that gets between the leaves and require frequent disassembly and regreasing. But is does have the water resistant properties. Here is the description (not very detailed):

"A high quality multi-purpose lubricant to withstand extreme friction and also providing added water resistance. Can not be used on needle bearings or other internal engine parts."

What do you all think? The pads will be reinstalled at the leaf ends.

Thanks.

Brian

I think that the best thing you can do is use the teflon pads. Another thing you could try is buy a sheet of teflon sticky paper and put them on all your leaves to lessen friction even more. They also make graphite paint to do the same thing. Using greese or a liquid lubricant will rub off quickly and cause water and dirt to stick in there.

KY.

CRASH

Slip Plate and other paints with friction-reducing properties are effective on the interiors of grain wagons. Don't know whether the performance between spring leaves would vary from that.

Back