• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emission Maintenance Timmer question

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
My 87 4.0 is ideling at 1000 rpms warm and I have checked all the vac lines and have good pressure. I was checking the shop manual and number one is the O2 sensor which needs to be replaced along with the emission maintenance timmer. Should this help lower my idle if I switch out these two at the same time.

And how do I know which series XJ I have 60, 70, or 81?
Thanks!

Changing the O2 and emmisions timer is not going to affect the idle at all.

You need to be looking at the throttle position sensor or the idle air control motor.

Can't say I have ever heard of a "series" of XJ

Yea, I would clean the IAC. It is on the front left (as you face the engine from the front) corner of the throttle body. It is held on with 2 T20 torx screws and uses an O ring to seal it to the TB. I have always been able to reuse the O ring. Clean it real good with some TB spray cleaner and you should be good to go. Be careful not to get any cleaner inside the electrical connector or on the O ring. Should take you about 15 minutes.

dandecicco said:
Umm..I have no idea what you're asking and I've been around these critters for awhile. I know that the Toyota LandCruisers have series numbers very similar to what you're asking, is that possibly what you meant?

FJ40:
gbjork.jpg

FJ60
FJ60.1982.jpg

FJ80
fj80.jpg

I hope the emission maintenance timer doesnt affect anything because mine is nonexistant.

dandecicco said:
My 87 4.0 is ideling at 1000 rpms warm and I have checked all the vac lines and have good pressure. I was checking the shop manual and number one is the O2 sensor which needs to be replaced along with the emission maintenance timmer. Should this help lower my idle if I switch out these two at the same time.

Thanks!
Um not to bring up old shit but what the hell is this guy talking about?

dandecicco said:

Thanks!

The HEGO may or may not need replacing - but the emissions timer can be scrapped (I pulled mine so damn long ago that I forgot where they are supposed to be - but I've not failed smog as a result, either.)

Check your manifold screws - I've noted a wandering idle (or a slight high idle) can be traced to loose manifold screws. Considering the number of times I've dealt with this (1987XJ, 1988XJ, and 3 x 1989XJ - all with I6 engines!) it's something that I think should not be neglected. Loosening manifold screws is a fairly common problem - especially due to the different expansion rates of iron and aluminum.

As far as "series" - the MJ is the "60 series," the XJ is the "70 series," and the FSJ is the "81 series." They're ChryCo designations, I believe, since AMC tended to retain the "xJ" designators (CJ, MJ, XJ, SJ, J-series Pickup, and so forth.) The "60 series" is further divided into long bed and short bed, and the "70 series" is cut up according to 2D/4D and 2WD/4WD - but I don't recall how, and I honestly don't feel like looking them up at the time. Just fix the "70 series" in your head, and you can use ChryCo manuals as well as AMC without any trouble.

5-90

Back