• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

curious rockers?

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I know a good rocker needs to connect to the sub frame and pinch seam as all designs and discussions indicate that. But, out of curiousity, why can't some thick (like 3/8 x 5 x 3 or similiar) angle iron just bolt right onto the stock lower rocker pannel and run from wheel well to wheel well?

Even if it went up past the door openings it could be cut to shape. It seemes like it would be strong enough to at least use a high-lift on if not drag accross some rocks and not bend or tweak the uni-body.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows exactly why this is bad to do.

Thanks, Dan

I remember reading that Jes formed some thick steel and put it there and it obviously held better than just the stock rockers, but eventually bent.

dandecicco said:
I know a good rocker needs to connect to the sub frame and pinch seam as all designs and discussions indicate that. But, out of curiousity, why can't some thick (like 3/8 x 5 x 3 or similiar) angle iron just bolt right onto the stock lower rocker pannel and run from wheel well to wheel well?

Even if it went up past the door openings it could be cut to shape. It seemes like it would be strong enough to at least use a high-lift on if not drag accross some rocks and not bend or tweak the uni-body.

Thanks, Dan

The problem with that idea is that the metal that the angle is attached to is just sheet metal and that is what will bend. CRASH did something similar on Princess and after years of abuse the doors actually closed over the rockers.
Here's what reamains of Princess and you can see how bent the rockers are...
picture.JPG

dandecicco said:

Thanks, Dan

The concept you describe (if I grasp the concept correctly) is much like cutting out the factory rocker panel and welding in rectangle tube for a replacement, but instead scabbing angle iron on the outside of the factory body panels (with no cutting)?

The problem with angle iron is a combination of things. Angle iron offers little resistance to bending (it's beefy, for the weight, but it pales in strength compared to similar weight per foot rectangle tube). The attachment to the factory body panels is not over much surface area (they are thin line and point loads), and it's not tied into the structure of the factory unitary body (it attaches to the skin of the body, the part that dimples and crushes). Another issue reducing the strength of this configuration is the taper between the XJ rocker panel and the pinchweld seam needs to be managed (either taper the long web of the angle iron, or bridge the gap to tie into the standing seam). The last issue is the factory pinchweld standing seam needs reinforcement (how many NAXJA Members found this out... too late).

Yes, angle iron can be made to work, but you must keep the vertical web of the angle iron attached for the full length below the doorsill (welded or bolted). In addition to this doorsill attachment, you need to tie in the horizontal web of the angle to the pinchweld seam and reinforce the standing seam at the pinchweld. Combine the 3x6 angle iron under the doors with rectangle tube along the pinch weld seam (1x3 or other) to reinforce the bottom of the door sill torquebox and bridge the tapered body issue, and you will have something that works.

The drawback of this configuration is the angle iron reinforcement does not extend outboard of the door sill, and will not provide much side impact protection. Adding another 1x3 rectangle tube, one that sticks outboard of the door sill angle can offer more side protection (with the added weight penalty).

Does this make sense?

What if you did this?- steel along the verticle and horizontal (outer, and under part) of the stock rockers, but before doing it, get some circular tubing and cut a chunck out of it and weld that to the steel - like this
/
--O
(does this make any sense at all?) I think it would not only look good, but would provide good protection and would hold up well too. Maybe weld it to the pinch seam, but bolt it to the outer of the rockers (with real shiny bling bling bolts!!!)

any thoughts?
Codeman

Codeman said:
What if you did this?- steel along the verticle and horizontal (outer, and under part) of the stock rockers, but before doing it, get some circular tubing and cut a chunck out of it and weld that to the steel - like this
/
--O
(does this make any sense at all?) I think it would not only look good, but would provide good protection and would hold up well too. Maybe weld it to the pinch seam, but bolt it to the outer of the rockers (with real shiny bling bling bolts!!!)

any thoughts?
Codeman

Did it - kinda. Look a couple days back for a thread I posted on it (BTW how do I link to an existing thread?). The tubing adds a bunch of bending resistance. I fit the 'angle' to the body first, and matched the existing body instead of just using off the shelf angle.

I am using stainless button head bolts for the bling.

Travis

If you're looking to do it cheap, simple and tough, weld .120 wall rectangle to the pinch seam and other places. It works good.

Bark eaters unite!

is.php

is.php

Back