• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need speedo gear for 242

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Any one know where I can get a speedo gear for my 88' with the 242. The dealer doesn't have any and I'll mailorder if I can. Any advice would be great. Thanks. Juice

he wont order you one????????
im 15 minutes from you in drexel hill. the dealer i use is in springfield and they will order any part for you. usually only takes a day or 2. they order there parts from the plant in wilmington DE.

Juice,

The transfer case does not determine which speedo gear you use. You need to know what size tires and what gear ratio you have.

I have a 88 XJ with the AW-4 Transmission. I read all automatics came with the 3.54 or 3.55 gears, seen it both ways. I have LT235/75R15 tires, for this application the service manual says to use a 33 tooth gear.

My XJ came with P205/75R15 tires stock, it came with a 35 tooth gear which I changed out when I went to the 235 series BFG AT tires.

I have a mechanical speedo cable and sure you do also. I purchased a 31 tooth gear in December 2002 to correct my speedo. I found out I got the speed to agree with my GPS but I was racking up more miles on the odometer so last time I changed oil I put back in the speedo gear.

I would go back to your dealer and say "I need a 33 tooth gear for my 84 XJ" if necessary you may have to say "it should be the same as an 88 XJ". My dealer has all the parts info for my XJ, yours should also have the info.

HTH

Martin

Back