• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I mount a gas can?

hack off the factory rear bumper and put a new one on with a jerry can holder... he he he...

gee I never thought of that . . . I should have stated low budget. I am trying to do the ebay and second hand thing and fab up what I can. Jsut made a front winch bumper and my hands need time to look less like gound chunk so I just thought suggestions would be out there.

Maybe I should jsut drink more beer till I figure it out:_)

Have never been a fan of rear mounted gas cans, get a mental picture of somebody rear ending me and the can rupturing and bathing most of the Jeep in gas. Inside is even worse. On the roof? Most cans are likely to leak or seep, sometime. Gaskets last for years (hopefully) then the suckers, leak all over the place.
I used to carry cans, don´t anymore, because there just doesn´t seem to be any really good/safe place to store them.
One of the first things I do with any new to me XJ. Is install a hitch in the back. Not just for the trailer, but also as gas tank protection. Way to likely, if you get rear ended, some compact is going under the bumper and is gonna hit the tank. Outside mounted gas cans, is kinda of asking for it.
I do occasionally, store a couple of cans, in my trailer.
Recently found a guy, that makes tanks for a living (mostly trucks). For around $200 bucks I can have one built. Wouldn´t be real hard to put a tank under an XJ, with another ten gallons or so of volume. Made of heavy gauge steel, that doesn´t hang much lower than stock. Guy just needs a set of serious plans and measurements.

First, let me say that I use the NATO cans, and they absolutely do not leak. That being said, I have been keeping mine inside - in the back - for several years now. At first I had one secured to the floor tie downs and the spare tire. A couple months back I put in a semi-permanent rack to go over my spare, which I moved to the floor, and it has a place for up to four cans.

I know alot of people probably don't like the idea -- I guess the fear is that the cans would get crushed and open in a major collision. I have nothing to back it up, but I dont think that a cas can leaking inside a wrecked vehicle would be any worse than a gas can leaking all over the outside of the wrecked vehicle. And I do think that a properly secured can in the vehicle would be less likely to puncture than one outside.

Travis

I use some rope to tie it to the back of my drivers seat it works out real well, plus I get a pretty good buzz by the time I get to my final destination. Just havin fun, mine is on my wilderness rack up above I only use it if I am going real far into the back country like Devils Highway in Southern AZ.

I only carry one on special occasions. I finding attaching it to the back keeps other drivers from getting too close. I've always been a little concerned about it rupturing and spilling everywhere, but maybe I'm just overly cautious. Last night as I was walking the dog, a guy in a pick uptruck came down the road dragging one of these along the pavement:
zumarpg44-steelbarricade.jpg

and pouring gasoline out of the hole it apparently made in his tank. When he pulled over, neither him nor the two cops chasing him seemed to be overly concerned about the line of gasoline extending down the street. I imagine it was a plastic sign (no sparks), I would hate to have been there if it was metal.

Used to keep two in the back of my FSJ, on long hauls. Old style military, in the standard mounts. Noticed they didin´t vent very well, and would swell up pretty good inside a hot vehicle. Every so often, I´d have to replace the lid gaskets (hard to find) and never did figure out how to get the gas out of the can, into the gas tank without getting my pants leg and shoes stinky. The standard flex hose leaked. Using a funnel was a two person operation and the fuel still ran down the sides of the can.
I mounted the crattles to the floor with some serious bolts, going all the way through the floor. One of the bolt heads, wore through the bottom of one can, from vibration. Lost a couple of gallons of fuel into the carpet, before I´d figured out, it wasn´t just the gasket venting some fumes.
Decided to give up on the gas cans, carpet smelled for years. :firedevil

Back