• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for those running RE 5.5

JSmall

NAXJA Forum User
After installing the lift, did the rear sit a few inches higher? I finished the rear a few days ago and got about 8 inches of lift. The front took a little longer because I was making my long arms at the same time and that required some measuring. With the front done it ended up being lifted around 6 inches. It’s noticeably higher in the rear right now. Has anyone else experienced this with the kit?

yes, pretty much everybody who has installed a RE lift gets more than advertised. I got about 7"-7.5" in the rear when first installed, but now has settled down to about 5"-6" depending on the day and how much chit I have in the back. Just get out there and cycle them, they settle down after a while.

JSmall said:
After installing the lift, did the rear sit a few inches higher? I finished the rear a few days ago and got about 8 inches of lift. The front took a little longer because I was making my long arms at the same time and that required some measuring. With the front done it ended up being lifted around 6 inches. It’s noticeably higher in the rear right now. Has anyone else experienced this with the kit?
Did you tighten the bolts to spec in the rear when you installed the leafs? You're supposed to get them semi snug and then take let it sit on wheels and tighten then and maybe even take it around the block before torquing it too spec. If you got it tight while the rear end was in the air it will take it longer to settle :D

Kejtar said:
Did you tighten the bolts to spec in the rear when you installed the leafs? You're supposed to get them semi snug and then take let it sit on wheels and tighten then and maybe even take it around the block before torquing it too spec. If you got it tight while the rear end was in the air it will take it longer to settle :D

Kejtar - I didn't torque anything until it was back on the ground. Maybe I will loosen everything up and drive around a bit and then retorque them.

CartsXJ - I knew I would get more lift then advertised but I wasn't thinking there would be a two inch difference from front to rear. It's not a big deal, I will just add a bumber and tire carrier and cycle the suspension until it breaks in.

I will have some pics as soon as I finsish the UCA's and move the axle forward about an inch.

Thanks

adjusting the front control arm lengths will also effect the lift height on the front as it will change the angle the coils sit, could go up or down depending on the angle they are now

JSmall said:
Kejtar - I didn't torque anything until it was back on the ground. Maybe I will loosen everything up and drive around a bit and then retorque them.
just don't loosen up too much or drive too much. The idea is to let it start moving without having to fight the bolts. Once it starts to, you can torque it down. You can also get couple friends and jump on the rear bumper while it's parked (same idea). You'll still be sitting high but not as high and it will be more prone to settle.

Fullsizexj said:
adjusting the front control arm lengths will also effect the lift height on the front as it will change the angle the coils sit, could go up or down depending on the angle they are now

Good point. They are at a slight angle now. I'll see what happens when I move the axle forward.

Thanks

Kejtar said:
just don't loosen up too much or drive too much. The idea is to let it start moving without having to fight the bolts. Once it starts to, you can torque it down. You can also get couple friends and jump on the rear bumper while it's parked (same idea). You'll still be sitting high but not as high and it will be more prone to settle.

Before I torqued everything down I jumped up and down on the bumper a few times to get it to settle. I'm only about 170 lbs so it didn't do much. I will loosen things up and get a few more friends to help. I really don't want an 8 inch lift.

Back