• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pretend Im a 2 year old (attn Eagle)

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
In the simplest terms you know can anyone tell me how to safely (without PCM damage) wire a switch up to control the electric fan manually and so it comes on by itself when it needs to. This is for a 97cherokee 4.0. I need to know what to get and how to hook it up in stupid terms. PS pictures welcome.

hey can i get your number

If you are a two year old, I'd suggest sticking your soft little head under the right rear wheel right before mommie backs up... Yell "Armegeddon" at the last moment.

jeepguy97 said:
In the simplest terms you know can anyone tell me how to safely (without PCM damage) wire a switch up to control the electric fan manually and so it comes on by itself when it needs to. This is for a 97cherokee 4.0. I need to know what to get and how to hook it up in stupid terms. PS pictures welcome.

What I would say to a 2 year old is.....leave it alone, it works like it is designed to. If it is not working correctlly, fix it. There is no reason to bypass a properly operating electric fan, unless you plan on doing allot of deep water.

Rev

I WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN WIRE IT UP. I DONT WANT TO SPEND 38$ ON SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF CAN ANYONE JUST PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOU WIRE THIS UP ON 97 AND LATER XJs.

jeepguy97 said:

ok... first off, if it comes on by it's self currently it is functioning properly so leave it alone. With that said, if it doesn't work properly and you are (as i was) too cheap to replace the temp switch just jump across the switch and the fan will run any time the key is in the run position.

Now here is the draw back: you will need to set up a relay, or at least a diode in line with the fan as the circuit that powers the fan also powers the engine electronix. I haven't put the relay in yet so I have a 6-9 second delay between turning the key off and the fan slowing down to the point it stops back powering the engine.

trust me on, this leave it stock. in this case stock works best. ;)

rO

jeepguy97 said:
I WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN WIRE IT UP. I DONT WANT TO SPEND 38$ ON SOMETHING I CAN DO MYSELF CAN ANYONE JUST PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW YOU WIRE THIS UP ON 97 AND LATER XJs.

capslock-s.jpg

jeepguy97 said:

Did you throughly investigate the URL I gave you? Did you see there is a link to installed pictures and WRITTEN directions on how to do it on that same page? Do you want me to provide links to those pages too...I figured you could DO THAT YOURSELF.

dbxj said:
Did you throughly investigate the URL I gave you? Did you see there is a link to installed pictures and WRITTEN directions on how to do it on that same page? Do you want me to provide links to those pages too...I figured you could DO THAT YOURSELF.

Remember, he is a 2 year old.

Guys are right sounds like a 2yr old...
But hey if you wanna mess with what works here ya go...

Find your fan relay (assumeing it currently works correctly) find the lead line (the one that comes from the thermostat) find out if that grounds to complete the circuit or power to complete. which ever it does splice it and run it to a switch that will do the same thing as the wire from the thermostat...

thats as simple as i can make it. truth is a 2yr old can't do it. you have to know alittle about life love and the shocking thing called electricity.
ps have a multi tester handy and don't screw it up or you will be replaceing your thermostat and your relay...)

jeepguy97 said:

If you need to have a simple circuit like this explained to you, then you currently lack the understanding required to complete this task. If I were you I'd buy the part and thank the poster for his help.

JMHO

Rev

Back