• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will these axles work?

TsfoTo

NAXJA Forum User
First off I have a 89 xj pioneer, 4.0 auto , np231.. I recently aquired a set of axles off a 93 zj and I need to know if they will work on my xj.?
The front axle does not have the vacuum connect like my xj, but everything else looks the same.
The rear axle is obvious with the different suspension, but if I cut all that off and weld in new spring plates will it work?
How about the brakes? They look similar, but?.
Is the a difference in u-joint size on the drive shaft? It looks to be the same, but I haven't measured it.
I'm just trying to get an idea on how much it would cost me to do this. My xj is getting tired at 255,000 and I'd like to give it a new set of legs to run on. The axles were only at 80,000 when pulled from the zj.

Thanks
Art? hasta

I believe the ZJ has the Dana 30, which wouldn't have much advantage over your 30. And the rear is either a D35 or a D44A, neither would be worth the work to put them in. If you want to cut and weld new brackets on another axle, get an 8.8 ;)

The thing is I already have the axles and my xj needs new ones. I just wasn't sure if the vacuum thing and brakes would make a problem for me or not. The rear is a different story. I could get something better, but I thought since I had it already...

Thanks
Art?

your 93 zj dana 30 is a low pinion not werth puting in

LP front d30 might have 297 shafts (if they are u-jointed) the rear will be a D35 drums are most likely the same as early XJ. Worth swapping in? depends I guess on how much you pd and what you wanna do with it. you might be able to sell the brackets if they come off clean to a ZJ guy looking to do the swap.

Back