• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Gage Cluster Swap (97+)

CherokeeGold

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ Sport with the basic gage cluster (speedo, gas & 4 idiot lights). Does anyone know if I can swap it for the 6-gage cluster? Will all of the gages work without changing sensors? Is the mileage stored in the cluster? If so, can it be changed?

Thanks!

It is all swapable but the millage will be different because it is stored in the cluster. So best be its to find a cluster with aprox the same millage than before. See what I dont get is what if your cluster breaks and you need a new one. How will the new ones millage be the same as the old one? Mayeb try callin Jeep and let them know what you want to do and ask them.

Chris

the mileage is stored in the pcm but that doesnt control what the cluster reads. if you change the cluster, the pcm will store actual mileage. the cluster only shows how many miles are on that cluster. they are supposed to be sent out and the actual mileage is burned in the memory.

some where on the here someone posted on how to change the odometer. Try looking around im going to tonight cause i just got a gauge cluster as well, if i find it ill post it.

scott

I did it in my 99.. all you need to do is swap in a new cluster. Don't need to replace any sensors. The odometer memory is stored in the cluster and will read whatever it was from the jeep it was pulled from. Luckly mine was only 250 miles off :)

For your 99 XJ you should use a 98 to 00 instrument cluster.... The buss connector wiring changed from 97 to 98. The windshield washer reservoir level will indicate empty no matter what, the rear window defroster timer will not work and hatch ajar is missing (97).... This is caused by the ground wires on the buss connector being swapped out. You can use a cluster from a 97-99 TJ, but you will be missing the rear window defroster, full time 4x4, and a few other differences...

Charles

I have a Canadian 98 and swapped in a US cluster out of a 97. Nothing different as far as windshield wiper level etc...haven't tried out the rear window defroster...yet. Plug n Play, baby!

Might depend upon when your 98 was built....
My 98 was built in Aug 97 and there is still a difference in the wiring between 1997 and 1998 model years.
Other than the minor wiring differences as described in my previous post.... the installation of the instrument cluster is a plug n play.....

Charles

As far as the milage on your cluster goes if you order a new one go to a dealership and they will ask you for the milage and when the new cluster comes in the milage is already there. If you buy from a salvage yard the dealer can still send it out to change the milage.

muduck18 said:
what about 1996? will the gage cluster swap over on it also???
Kejtar recently addressed that in the Stock Forum after trying to swap 'lectrical stuff from his rolled XJ. Like CharlesS noted earlier, the electrical buss changed in the 98s so it's going to be difficult to use a 97 or prior.

My bad, I haven't spend much time in the stock forum... sorry. I was just wondering if the 96 with the HUGE gas gage would swap out for one with the tach and temp... (96 with another 96 or somthing to that extent) i will go check the oem forums and see if i can find it...

No worries; search his posts from about a month ago in that forum. I think the majority of his problems were with the power windows but there was some discussion of the instrument clusters too.

Jim

thought i would menti0n that a 01 will swap right in with a 99. my car got 45k miles younger to :)

I swapped a 97 gauge cluster into my 98 which had idiot lights, the only differences were that the windshield washer light came on and stayed on, I swapped bulbs between the security and washer sockets. when I run low on fluid the 'security' light came on. Otherwise it was a 30 minute job counting the battery disconnect time to eliminate any airbag issues. All the sockets are there, some will have bulbs, some won't, depends on what the donor had in it from the factory.

my washer fluid light worked still, but i dont think the check engine light works on mine, which kinda bothers me

Back