• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I was sent by the guys at Links4Jeeps.com

commanche_man

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 Jeep Comanche Pioneer with the 4.0l High output inline V6, 5 speed standard, and the posi 44 rearend with the towering package. Right now it has 235/75 R15 on it and would like to at some point would like to build it up to maybe take 35 or 36s. My main problems right is that I can't find a decent suspension lift for the 44. Alot of the lift kits I've seen for MJ where for MJs with the D35 rearend. Another problem is that I live in Maine and there aren't alot of guys that build Jeeps up here. I know a few but they have CJ5s, 7s, and Cherokees, and alot of the stuff they did was done in there driveway with ordered kits for like Skyjacker or another place. The only lift I can find for the 44 on my MJ is only about 3 inches. I was think something more along the lines of 6 but I don't think I be finding one any time soon. I know I can use a Chereokee lift for the front because they are basically identical but the 44 really hinders my plans. I know 44 are stronger so there is no way I'm getting rid of it. I've already had to replace the gears in it after i bought it. So i was wondering if anyone could help me out with some tips on what I can do to help me build up my own project MJ extreme. (Granted I still plan on keeping it a daily driver, but the name sounds cool)

give this guy his tires back.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33058

seriously though, there a few guys up your way with xj/mj's and there a ton of guys with lifted MJ's with 44's. i think the only difference is possibly the spring perches (but dont quote me). look in the section for North Atlantic, and you will see alot of guys in New England. Hope this helps.

Find the components for a 6" lift for the front of any MJ or XJ and do a SOA in the rear. Voila, 6" lift. Trim the sh*t out of the fenders and put on yer 35's. (And then wait for the D30 to explode).

In the rear you do a "spring over", which means putting new leaf spring mounts on top of the axle instead of having the leafs go under the axle. This lifts the rear about 4.5", but you can use taller spring perches to get as much lift as you want, then choose any Cherokee lift for the front. The comanche sits about an inch higher than the Cherokee stock, so if you want 5 inches of lift in the front get a 6 inch Cherokee lift.

OK first off, yes inline V6, trust me I've look at it, it's an inline. And second must you make fun of my bad typeing, I have problems typing. (By the way its towing, but I figured you know that) But yeah thank's for the help. And if anyones knows or is a person that has a modified MJ in Maine, drop me a line. I want to build my MJ up so bad, I've always wanted a Jeep and now I have one. And I'm trying to find a frontend 44 out of a Wagoneer to replace the wimpy 30 that is currently taking up residence under the motor.

Cliff said:
Inline V6?

This is na inline V-6!
images

And this it a 'towering package'.

MVC-092S.jpg

Sheesh! You guys are not very smart!

Leave the new guy alone!

Commanche I suppose eveyone is giving you a hard time but if it's an inline engine it's then not considered to be in the "V" configuration that most other engines are in, hence the inline 6 name.

commanche_man said:
OK first off, yes inline V6, trust me I've look at it, it's an inline. And second must you make fun of my bad typeing, I have problems typing. (By the way its towing, but I figured you know that) But yeah thank's for the help. And if anyones knows or is a person that has a modified MJ in Maine, drop me a line. I want to build my MJ up so bad, I've always wanted a Jeep and now I have one. And I'm trying to find a frontend 44 out of a Wagoneer to replace the wimpy 30 that is currently taking up residence under the motor.

I agree, we should be a little more respectfull, particularly when somone is new. We appreciate new people because they help make this website stonger!! They should be appologizeing for their comments, even though most of them probably will not.

Inline 6 cylinder is what you ment (the V in V6 implies the shape of the cylinders with relation to each other, in a V form).

Nothing wrong with the D30, if you want to build something else for the front there is tons of info on these pages to help with that. There are also many people on this forum with MJ's and D44's. But the general rule of thumb is that a Spring Over in the rear will net you several inches of lift in the rear (maybe 4.5" like stated before). All you do is take the spring puches off the bottom and weld them on top (might need a new drivshaft at the same time due to length (I am not sure).

You will probably get a lot more options for lifts for a XJ than for a MJ, I would start there, these pages also have lots of opinions on lift.

HTH,
Welcome to NAXJA sorry for the rough start. This forum is worth it!!
Michael

2xtreme said:
I agree, we should be a little more respectfull, particularly when somone is new. We appreciate new people because they help make this website stonger!! They should be appologizeing for their comments, even though most of them probably will not.

I dont know what it means, but I want to be first in line for the "appologizeing", how much is it going to cost me?

give the guy a break for christsake, everybody was new once. and these pathetic attempts at grammar policing are, well, pathetic.

It's all good. Ok I had forgotten the whole V and inline thing. I'm at work and am trying to type fast so ya I don't have the time to go back over my typeing. But ya I figure I can get a front 44 from a Wagoneer and check out junkyards and see if anything turns up there. Plus my dad is a mehcanic and helps a guy run a towing service so I'm gonna see if they can keep an eye out for anything that might help me. Right now I have a utility rack that I got with the MJ and am trying to trade it for a rollbar. (For safety and looks) I plan to change the tires I have now to a more aggressive tread and maybe do a little buming some old logging trails and stuff. I think my MJ looks better with mud on it.

Ok, there is no difference in lifting the rear of an MJ with a 44 or 35, it is sprung under unlike the cherokee which is sprung over. In the rear you can go SOA and any front Cherokee kit should work. If you want to swap in a waggy front 44 you have to come up with the mounts for the links and it will have a different wheel lug pattern. It is not a simple bolt in swap.

commanche_man said:
must you make fun of my bad typeing, I have problems typing.
Whoa commanche man, don't get your panties in a bunch. Nothing personal here. If you're not getting a little $hit from members, you don't belong.
I think Beezil put it best,
"We eat our own"

bgcntry72 said:
WTF is a 'towering package'.
Does it involve safety ropes and linesman boots?

It's already lifted. It TOWERS above the compitition. He also has the ONLY Inline V-6.

We eat our own, and some outside this little group call us the DONNER Party.

Follow Yucca-mans' advice. ITs good.

Back